Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In the Fog with iCloud, questions to ask

With the looming changes coming to MobileMe that require me to migrate to iCloud, i find myself forced to now look at how this will impact me. However, i find that i am still confused about some of the changes.

I have mutliple macs of varrying ages and have been using MobileMe for a long time. I finally found have it where i am using it more and more, but it looks like some of my must useful services are going away, but am not sure.

I have to sync a G5 PowerPc (if i can fix it) with i MacBook Pro (running 10.6.8), iPhone 4 (IOS5) and my brand new iMac (two users). From what i have read, it sounds like the G5 will not be able to use all the services. I use the iDisk a lot to share information between my computers and i use the gallary to set friends download or see movies i make with iMovie.

My bullet questions are:

1. will i need to upgrade the OS in my MacBook Pro to use iCloud?
  2. Is there a similar service in iCloud as the Gallary for me to share movies and photos with friends?
  3. Is there a similar service as iDisk that allows me to have a virtual drive with documents/jpegs/etc between my macs
  4. is there a public folder that i can give friends access too to download or access documents like i have with iDisk?

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 8:16 PM

will i need to upgrade the OS in my MacBook Pro to use iCloud?

Yes. All Macs that should use iCloud must run LION. 10.7.2, nothing less. If it does not have a core2duo Intel processor and 2GB of Ram you must buy a new Mac that would run that OS.

2. Is there a similar service in iCloud as the Gallary for me to share movies and photos with friends?

No. Must use flickr/facebook/youtube and so on

"photostream" feature of iCloud is only across your own devices. No outsider sharing possible and no selection of what pictures go into the stream. No single delete feature also. It lacks all sorts of managing tools.

3.there a similar service as iDisk that allows me to have a virtual drive with documents/jpegs/etc between my macs

No iDisk at all. Must use dropbox,sugarsync and such.

If you own iOS5 device with the mobile iwork apps you just have storage in the cloud to store your iwork documents and access them from a web-browser. But no generic files, zips, folders, whatsoever.

4.is there a public folder that i can give friends access too to download or access documents like i have with iDisk?

No. iCloud is meant as for your own use only. To have your devices in sync, not to share with 3rd parties.

Message was edited by: Sjazbec, forgot Lion..

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2011 8:16 PM in response to GilTaylor

will i need to upgrade the OS in my MacBook Pro to use iCloud?

Yes. All Macs that should use iCloud must run LION. 10.7.2, nothing less. If it does not have a core2duo Intel processor and 2GB of Ram you must buy a new Mac that would run that OS.

No. Must use flickr/facebook/youtube and so on

"photostream" feature of iCloud is only across your own devices. No outsider sharing possible and no selection of what pictures go into the stream. No single delete feature also. It lacks all sorts of managing tools.

3.there a similar service as iDisk that allows me to have a virtual drive with documents/jpegs/etc between my macs

No iDisk at all. Must use dropbox,sugarsync and such.

If you own iOS5 device with the mobile iwork apps you just have storage in the cloud to store your iwork documents and access them from a web-browser. But no generic files, zips, folders, whatsoever.

4.is there a public folder that i can give friends access too to download or access documents like i have with iDisk?

No. iCloud is meant as for your own use only. To have your devices in sync, not to share with 3rd parties.

Message was edited by: Sjazbec, forgot Lion..

Oct 30, 2011 9:45 PM in response to Sjazbec

thank you for the replies, i found the FAQ mssing some of my direct questions, they inidicated no, but didn't say if there was a compatible service.

so is the cost still the $99/year i currently pay? it seems i have lost a lot of service for what i was paying for. Although Dropbox allows some of the service, you have to have a dropbox account on the other end to see the files and if they files exceed their box size, then it clogs them up. Also, it lacks the control i had with sharing of the documents that the gallary had.

In the Fog with iCloud, questions to ask

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.