Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud requires lion?

why does apple insist that iCloud can only run under 10.7 or higher? I specifically have a few apps that won't run under 10.7 that are no longer updated, so I am holding out of upgrading. is there a workaround?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 9:17 PM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2011 10:27 PM in response to Arhsmacdude

You are only eligible to use iCloud if you own iOS5 or OS X 10.7.2 , because iCloud is a specific feature of these two OS' which also have the same code base -- both are identified as "Darwin version 11" , Darwin is Apple's implemtation of FreeBSD, the gears behind OSX. --

iCloud is baked into the OS, so no you can't have it in anything older and you are also not a legitimate user should you try to.

Oct 30, 2011 10:57 PM in response to Arhsmacdude

Don't upgrade to Lion and don't get involved in iCloud. It's a mess.

I lost all my email, had to restore contacts and calendar from backups due to the combo of Lion "upgrades" and the iCloud debacle. iCloud makes MobileMe look brilliant. Keep iDisk and MobileMe as long as you can if you have them. If you don't have iDisk/MobileMe then get DropBox which is a real seamless virtual disk cloud solution.

Nov 3, 2011 10:13 AM in response to KingSalmon

Don't upgrade to Lion and don't get involved in iCloud. It's a mess.

I have been following the iCloud introduction with dismay and I agree completely. Because of previous experiences I usually wait a week or two to see how things are going before I make major software jumps.

Unlike previous system and application upgrades, which can be reversed via backups and clones, iCloud appears to be unchangeable. At present I think I will wait at least 6 months or more for an acceptable solution. Supposedly I can use Mobile Me till June 2012 and then I may have to switch eMail service.

Lack of resolution will guarantee iCloud a cloudy future

icloud requires lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.