Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iCloud backup, emailadress other iCloud user shown on my screen. Major privacy bug?!

Because I'm having the iOS5 WiFi bug (only WiFi signal close to router, ca 1m distance, further away from router no WiFi signal), I was trying to solve this problem by restoring iOS5 firmware on my iPhone 3GS. While restoring using iCloud & reinstalling my apps, I had to sign into the AppStore using my AppleID & password.

The AppleID (emailaddress) field was pre-filled in, the e-mailaddress of another random iCloud user was shown on my screen (...@hotmail.co.uk)!

Apple what's up? This is a major privacy issue: why could I see the emailaddress of anoter random iCloud user and can other users also see my emailaddress through this bug?

Overall two problems: the WiFi bug (using WiFi is impossible) and a major iCloud/restoring/AppStore privacy bug. What's happening!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:54 PM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2011 1:02 PM in response to RobinWo

somebody mentioned a few days ago that he had unknown Email adresses pre-filled in the AppStore Acount and wondered how this could happen from a fresh restore from the cloud. Luckily for the "kidnapped" Account Owner the password was not pre-filled, so the "kidnapped" account was not useable and needed to be replaced with the complete correct Apple-ID account of the restoring user.

I also remember of a Lady who swore she had found other people's sent mails in her icloud Mail web-app.

You are onto something..

Oct 31, 2011 1:12 PM in response to RobinWo

I have an old apple ID that I set up for mac.com when I got my Mac book pro in 2007. The ID expired when my temporary use of Mac.com ran out. Now I upgraded to iOS 5 and when trying to sync my iPhone 4 to my Mac book it won't sync 17 of my tunes and says they will be lost. I figured the 17 tunes must have been bought under my old expired Apple ID. So I tried using the expired Apple ID. Since I forgot the password to the old Apple ID I had to reset it. I never got the reset email. I saw an unknown email address (partially redacted) during the reset process and it looks like Apple sent my reset email to another email address that I never had. Has Apple lost track of our email address records?

Nov 3, 2011 4:25 AM in response to RobinWo

I have had this problem myself. I checked the purchased section on my phone to find a whole stack of songs that I hadn't purchased. Once I went into my iTunes (on mac) and looked at the info for these files, they had others iTunes accounts attached to them, generally those of friends who have given me music over time. For some reason the iCloud back up picks up the other accounts and wants you to input a password in the phone after a iCloud back up so that it can re-download to the songs to your phone. Hope this helps 🙂

Restoring iCloud backup, emailadress other iCloud user shown on my screen. Major privacy bug?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.