Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iLife reinstallation on Lion

My story starts out with two computers:

The first Mac is an older black 13" MacBook purchased in late 2008. It runs Lion perfectly fine. This computer is now acting primarily as a proxy server so I can access websites with a US IP address while overseas. This Mac shipped with the Leopard operating system. It is now upgraded all the way through Lion (likely it's last major cat).

The second computer is a sleek new 15" MacBook Pro, with all of the upgrades, purchased right after the last major revision earlier in 2011. This Mac was shipped with Snow Leopard and has been updated to Lion.

The issue comes when trying to install iLife on the black MacBook. It shipped with iLife '08. I cannot use my application CD that came with it because Lion can no longer run PPC applications. I also cannot use the application DVD that came with the new MacBook because it is paired with the computer that it was shipped with.

The question I have is, even though I own a copy of iLife '08 but cannot install it, is there any way to obtain a copy from Apple to install? It seems bad that I can own software but cannot install it. Is there anyway to install any version of iLife on the black MacBook without having to pay for it, since I do own it?

P.S. - I do know that iLife is a software suite and not an application. I do want to install all of the applications and am referring to it as iLife because of that.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 3:39 PM

1 reply

iLife reinstallation on Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.