Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Error Importing Into iMovie

I have been importing movies into iMovie from my camera for some time with no problem. Yesterday it went through the whole process and when it got to the end it just says "ERROR" instead of "IMPORTED". It asks me if I want to archive the clips on the camera but that's all I can do. I got this error on 2 clips yesterday but not on 4 other clips. They imported fine. All the clips are about 24 minutes long. I'm copying old Super 8 movies that I project on a screen. I deleted the 2 that got errors and re-copied them today. One imported. The other didn't. I've tried 3 times.

I have no idea what the problem is. I have enough room on the disk I'm copying to.

If anyone knows what my problem is, please let me know.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iMovie '11

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 3:59 PM

4 replies

Nov 8, 2011 10:51 AM in response to KatieKat008

KatieKat008, you wouldn't happen to have iCloud installed on your Mac right now would you? Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences and look:

User uploaded file

iCloud appears under Internet & Wireless, click on the icon and see if this screen comes up:

User uploaded file

Click on the Sign Out button and click on OK for all the warning messages that come up. You are trying to turn off iCloud on your Mac. Once logged out this is how the screen should appear:

User uploaded file

Then reboot your Mac, and launch iMovie and try to import that one clip that failed and see if there's any difference.

Jan 9, 2012 9:14 AM in response to KatieKat008

I finally figured out what my problem was. When a movie was importing into iMovie from my camera and Time Machine started backing up during that time I would get an error. So the solution is to turn off Time Machine while I am importing movies - especially long movies.

In my case iCloud wasn't the issue but I can see how it might be in other cases.

Feb 28, 2013 6:13 PM in response to KatieKat008

Thank you!

Your information is really helpful in Japan too!!

"I finally figured out what my problem was. When a movie was importing into iMovie from my camera and Time Machine started backing up during that time I would get an error. So the solution is to turn off Time Machine while I am importing movies - especially long movies. "

I was in the same problem. Now I am able to fix it by turning off Time Machine.

I translated your precious info into Japanese.

https://discussionsjapan.apple.com/thread/10115776

Best, Yutaka

User uploaded file

Get Error Importing Into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.