Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did all contacts disappear when I turned on iCloud?

Yesterday I turned on iCloud for my contact info, and when I tried to access my contacts some hours later, discovered that all my contacts disappeared from my iPhone4.

When I turned off iCloud for my contacts (iCloud is still on for other stuff) my contacts immediately reappeared.

What gives?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 4:26 PM

12 replies

Nov 8, 2011 10:37 AM in response to eric m.fromsan diego

Your contacts didn't come back?? Yikes!

Still don't have any answers for you, but my experience should be a little encouraging to you... your contacts are probably there, just not being displayed.

After a problem with duplicate events in iCal, I have turned off iCloud altogether for the time being. I'm not sure if iCloud is the problem or if it's me not understanding how to configure things properly in all those various inter-related settings. It sure is complicated!

I'll go look for your post. If you figure it out and think of it, please give me an update.

Good luck!

May 27, 2012 7:14 AM in response to Impish

Firstthing you need to do, go to icloud.com and log into your icloud account - are there any contacts there? If not, then you need to sync the cotacts on your computer to iCloud to populate your iCloud address book. Once the information is in iCloud.com, turn on iCloud Contact syncing on your iphone and your phone should populate with the info in the cloud.

May 27, 2012 11:16 AM in response to pberk

Thanks for the advice, but after this and other hassles, I've decided to not use iCloud in any way. I'm sticking with the old way of syncing my iphone via the cable and iTunes as well. Suits me just fine.

Other than not providing a detailed manual on iOS5 in general, and iCloud in particular, I'm not blaming Apple here. I used to be on top of my Mac and Apple devices, but somewhere along the road I got left behind, and I just don't have the time anymore to catch up, especially when that means doing so by trial and error.

I'm still an avid fanboy of my Apple computer, iPhone and recently Apple TV. I'm sure iCloud is wonderful, but having never successfully used it, I don't miss it.

Thanks again.

May 27, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Impish

Same happend to me today. I have turned icloud sync for the first time ever in my 3GS, set to sync my 400 contacts and only 130 contacts was synced! What the ****? I logged to icloud.com indeed there is just 130 contacts there.

Is there a chance to have the rest beck? I didn't sync with my iTunes for the long time I don't want to lose any contacts. Pls help

Apr 7, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Impish

I just got back from the Verizon store and the guy went to my settings and under each email, unsynced my contacts. I lost all my contacts, and it's a good thing I had a typed up a back up file on my computer before going but to my joy- IT WORKED! It's been a week and all my contacts haven't moved and have stayed. It's like a regular phone (contact wise).

Why did all contacts disappear when I turned on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.