Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup automatically deletes address book

I accidentally deleted all contacts in address book. When i attempt to restore the address book from time machine, the address book is restored then automatically deletes all contacts again.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 6:14 PM

8 replies

Nov 3, 2011 7:42 AM in response to nujac

I think I am having a similar problem. I made a major mistake across multiple cards and want to return to an earlier state. I restored from Time Machine the Application Support Address Book folder and all Address Book Preferences. When I start Address Book I briefly see the earlier state I want. Then the spinning wheel comes on and I am restored to the latest state with the mistakes that I do not want. How to prevent this automatic restoration to the latest state?

I am using Lion and was connected to the iCloud, but disconnected for these restoration attempts. If I get the older state restored on my computer I wonder what problems there will be getting this to replace the version on iCloud?

Nov 3, 2011 4:41 PM in response to thermo2

thermo2 wrote:

. . .

It may involve a significant problem with iCloud when trying to restore data.

That's quite likely.

I don't use iCloud, but as I understand it, it's very different from MobileMe or other syncing apps. The cloud contains the original or master; what's on your Mac is only a copy. Thus iCloud will replace the data you restore with the data in the cloud.

It sounds like AddressBook is reconnecting to the cloud as soon as you start it, and overlaying what you restored. Have you tried this while not connected to the internet at all?

You (or Apple) apparently have to find a way to restore/update to the cloud, not your Mac.

Nov 4, 2011 11:18 AM in response to nujac

In case it will help anyone else, this is the rather complicated procedure worked out with Apple Support to restore Address Book to an earlier state. Hopefully Apple will consider a switch of some sort to restart or re-initialize the contacts which would greatly simplify the procedure.

1. If using iCloud, uncheck Contacts box in System Preferences>iCloud
  2. Quit Address Book
  3. Restore Address Book folder in User/LIbrary/Application Support to previous version with Time Machine
  4. Trash all Address Book preferences in User Library/Preferences
  5. Log Out/In or Restart
  6. Start Address Book and verify desired address book version is now available
  7. If not using iCloud you are done, otherwise you need to create new Address Book Folder with current file dates that contains desired previous data
  8. First Go to Web version of iCloud Contacts and erase all contacts
  9. From Address Book Export vCard with All Contacts
  10. Export vCard for each manually defined group
  11. Quit Address Book
  12. Trash Address Book folder in User/Library/Application Support
  13. Trash all Address Book preferences in User Library/Preferences
  14. Log Out/In or Restart
  15. Start Address Book and Import vCard with All Contacts
  16. Import vCard for each defined group one at a time and:
  17. Check review duplicates and keep new
  18. Select Last Import for each group and manually assign to Group Name
  19. Re-Check Contacts box in System Preferences>iCloud
  20. New address book should populate to iCloud and other devices

Jul 3, 2012 10:47 AM in response to thermo2

This worked!

However...Cloud syncing means....when one device is screwed..so are all the others...almost permanently.

It's a BIG problem.

Apple should rethink iCloud being the Master copy. If something goes wrong and you don't use Time Machine..you are screwed! Time Machines has problems of it's own. Restoring Address Books from Time Machine does not work with iCloud. Hmmmmmm!

Why doesn't the app create autobackup files in EACH DEVICE...in the iOS or the Mac user/Library.....????

There really should be an Address book preference how often you feel you need to backup (LOCALLY)....AND have the option to reimport that file the the Master iCloud website! That way if the cloud is the master we can simply reupload to the Master.

I don't like iCloud. It costs more to access your data via telecommunications companies data plans.

I am using "Air Media Center" to see my own computer (MASTER) as it's own cloud for documents. I'm seeing directly what's on my computer live..and control the data flow from expensive 3G plans. Not just having data transferring MB and GB in the background. It an OK app..easy to setup..let's me access my stuff.

I like to control when sync occurs like it was in Mobile Me...the data went upwards..not downwards. You could recognize when something was wrong and NOT SYNC before the damage was done on Mobile Me. The Cloud version should be the BACKUP version...always. OTHERWISE... It should be making archive backup files up there..if it's going to be the Master copy!

Jul 3, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Kimbakat

Kimbakat wrote:

. ..

Apple should rethink iCloud being the Master copy. If something goes wrong and you don't use Time Machine..you are screwed! Time Machines has problems of it's own. Restoring Address Books from Time Machine does not work with iCloud. Hmmmmmm!

That's not exactly true -- since the master is in the cloud, not on your Mac, after the restore, iCloud will clobber what was just restored.

Why doesn't the app create autobackup files in EACH DEVICE...in the iOS or the Mac user/Library.....????

Won't help if the device is lost, stolen, or hopelessly damaged/corrupted.

The Cloud version should be the BACKUP version...always.

Maybe, but that's very unlikely to happen. 😟 Apple's position is, the cloud is always the master, so whatever goes wrong with a device won't affect it. Not entirely true in the real world, of course, but that seems to be the theory.

OTHERWISE... It should be making archive backup files up there..if it's going to be the Master copy!

That's one possibility. Just how to implement that, not to mention how many archives to keep and for how long, and how to have a user decide to restore one, would be a fairly big deal.

Another option might be for Apple to provide a facility, to function like thermo2's instructions, to make it easier to restore. But that won't help folks who don't have Macs (just iPhones, iPods, and iPads), so they'd need something similar, somehow.

Bottom line: there doesn't seem to be a simple solution. 😟

But by all means, tell Apple about your difficulty and any suggestions here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Time Machine backup automatically deletes address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.