Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 8 freezes on startup, possibly due to Library data

I can't get iPhoto 8 to open any more on my iMac running Snow Leopard. The program starts up, shows an empty iPhoto window, and then the spinning wheel just spins and spins until I force quit.

I suspect that this is because something has gone wrong with the photos and data in the Library file. I say this because if I launch iPhoto while holding down the option key, and select an "empty" Library file with no data on it in my local hard drive, then iPhoto can open. But when I try to open iPhoto with my real Library that has all my photos on it on an external drive, it now is freezing as described above. Of note, my Mac crashed and rebooted while iPhoto was open, and then this startup problem began. This has happened to me in the past, but if I reboot the Mac then iPhoto seems to work fine again. That's not the case this time.

Also, in case this is important, my iPhoto library has grown to about 150GB in size. Could this be part of the problem? Is there a limit on how many photos or how much total data that iPhoto can handle?

Any advice to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.5GB RAM

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 11:02 PM

4 replies

Nov 1, 2011 1:14 AM in response to xabman

iPhoto is good for 250,000 images.

If iPhoto was writing to the database when the Mac went down then the library may have been damaged.

You say you have iPhoto 8, can I clarify?

Iphoto 08 is v7 of iPhoto, iPhoto 09 is v8. Which do you have? I ask as the steps for a fix differ with these versions.

Regards

TD

Nov 1, 2011 2:44 PM in response to xabman

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

iPhoto 8 freezes on startup, possibly due to Library data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.