Skip navigation

iMessage not working like it should!

2510 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 7:32 AM by UncleT25 RSS
denn1svc Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 1, 2011 3:20 AM

I have a problem that I'm sure other people have as well.

The problem in a few words is that iMessage is not capable of fast switching between Wi-Fi and cellular network.

Example 1:

When I am texting with my girlfriend and I'm inside my house, but a bit too far from my router (but still connected to it, yet with a weak signal), the iPhone often fails to send the message (red dot error) or with a certain amount of delay (usually a minute or two).

Example 2:

When I am outside, on a location where I don't have a 3G connection and obviously no Wi-Fi either, I have the same issue as described in the example above. It also occurs when having a 3G connection, but this issue is much less occuring.

In my opinion, Apple should seriously rethink the way iMessage works, cause it is quite annoying when you think that a message has been sent. When you check your iPhone 20 min/ 1 hour/ 2 hours... later, and you find out the message hasn't got out, you feel like smashing the phone against a wall. Especially when the message is urgent.

I never have this problem with What's App, that's why I prefer to continue using this. Maybe Apple should buy them, so they have at least proper working software.

Is there a way to fix this? The level of 'this annoys the crap out of me' on a scale from 1 to 10 is 11 right now.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5
  • Pauly78 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Nov 1, 2011 3:28 AM (in response to denn1svc)

The mesage will only send if you have a sufficient wi-fi or 3g signal, otherwise you ned to send it as a text message. When it fails to send tap the red dot and select send as text message, unless you now have a better 3g signal then tap try again.

Nov 1, 2011 3:41 AM (in response to denn1svc)

i havent  had this problem with my iphone or my ipad, i mean, ofcourse there have been the odd occasion when ive been unable to send a message using imessage, but never when ive had wi-fi or 3G, whats your device like at dropping the wifi when your browsing the net? do you have to constantly re-connect?

maybe an antennae problem.

Nov 1, 2011 3:55 AM (in response to denn1svc)

Theres one thing in the past i have noticed, with my ipad, occasionally when i was browsing the net or using facebook app etc it would just stop responding (like id lost my wifi connection) yet my wifi signal strength would say i had 1 or 2 bars still, pages wouldnt load or refresh unless i got up and went closer to my router. this would only happen on my ipad though, not the iphone and was before ios5 so i didnt have imessage.

I never have the problem now though as i moved my router to a more central position in the house. Maybe the device says you have the signal, when really you dont..... this is the impression i got with mine which is why i moved the router.

• UncleT25 Calculating status...
    Nov 1, 2011 5:05 AM (in response to denn1svc)

I notice the same issues with my iPhone and iPad.  I hope there will be a fix for it soon.  The same type of problem occurs when I am using Safari and am farther away from my router at home; my device continues to try using the wi-fi instead of switching to 3G to optimize the download speed.

Another problem with iMessage: my sister has an iPhone without a data plan and has to turn off iMessage to send texts when she is outside of a wi-fi zone, otherwise it keeps try to send as an "iMessage" instead of a "Text Message" and displays the red dot error that it cannot send.  And when I try sending her an iMessage (my iPhone knows she has iOS 5 with iMessage) it shows as delivered, even though she has her iMessage turned off and does not receive it until she turns it back on.

One more thing: The whole iMessage to email address and/or phone number is very lame...please make all iMessages (sent and received to either location) sync between registered devices.  It just makes more sense than having 2 conversations open with the same person becasue you iMessage from your iPhone using your phone number then switched to your iPad using your email address..

There are a lot of things to fix/improve with iMessage to make it as good as WhatsApp or BBM...

Get to work, Apple!

• jamie654 Calculating status...
    Nov 23, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to denn1svc)

I have a similar issue,

I can have my iPhone 4 and iPad set up with iMessage and all chats are syncing. Something happens normally after 24 hrs and the iPad will no longer send iMessages (red failed icon). If I disconnect the ipad from my home wifi and connect via iPhone 4 hotspot it will work again. Then I reconnect to home wifi and all is good.

The reverse can also happen with the iPhone not sending iMessage over wifi and I just switch to 3G send the message and switch back.

It's like it is not happy with 2 devices with same apple IDs on the same wifi network. A little off topic but FaceTime behaves in exactly the same way.

I have spent hours googling and spoken with genius bar all to no avail...

Any ideas?

• SGFC Calculating status...
    Dec 23, 2011 3:48 PM (in response to jamie654)

Try setting the DNS address in your connection settings to your ISP's DNS server.

Sometimes an iDevice will choose your router's gateway as the DNS.

• UncleT25 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 29, 2011 7:32 AM (in response to SGFC)

Is this supposed to fix the issue of switching automatically from WiFi to 3G when the WiFi has low or week signal?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.