Skip navigation

Safari won't open pdf's

6243 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 4:04 PM by niteowl RSS
kwright2713 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 1, 2011 6:29 AM

Hi, when I click any pdf on safari, it won't open the pdf it just brings up a dark grey screen and doesn't load. I am running Safari 5.1.1 and OSX Lion. I have removed the Adobe plugin from Library and put Adobe Reader in the trash, however, I am still getting the same problem.

• jayafel Calculating status...
    Nov 1, 2011 7:18 AM (in response to kwright2713)

I am having the same problem.  I clicked the "missing plugin" link, downloaded the adobe file it wanted me to, and it still won't work. 

This has been going on for awhile.  I am about to go back to Firefox or maybe Chrome.  As a graduate student, I download quite a bit of pdfs...

• jayafel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 1, 2011 7:21 AM (in response to kwright2713)

i tried that, and it wouldn't work for me. 

• jayafel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 1, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to kwright2713)

i think so, some pdfs will open with preview now but some (like the EBSCO databases) won't open at all.

• Ancient_One Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    Nov 1, 2011 9:23 AM (in response to kwright2713)

Another possibility to to use the Schubert PDF plug in. It has been around for years and works great.

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

I do not know if it will work in Lion but it does work in Snow Leopard.

Steve H

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,160 points)
    Nov 1, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to kwright2713)
    I am running Safari 5.1.1 and OSX Lion

Removing that plugin won't help with Adobe / Lion.

Read here >  Known Issues | Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion

• Gerd Rösser Calculating status...
    Sep 23, 2012 1:52 AM (in response to kwright2713)

Thanks,

I had the same problem and deleting everything containing pdf in its name.

I had to do this in both libraries: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Now it works again. ;-)

• RockJedi Calculating status...
    Dec 31, 2012 4:16 PM (in response to Gerd Rösser)

Thank Gerd and KWright.

I had the same problem. (a temporary work around was I was right clicking on the grey screen, hitting save pdf to download, worked half the time)

Now by deleting those plug ins, I dont see grey screen anymore.

Thank you sooooo much.

• Yermudder Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 13, 2013 3:17 PM (in response to kwright2713)

I had the same experience with my new mac mini. I tried deleting the plug-ins and all that, but it didn't help. I finally discovered that I needed to open Adobe Reader directly first. Until you do that and say "yes" to the user terms, it won't open from Safari. That could be your only problem.

• niteowl Level 2 Level 2 (385 points)
    Sep 29, 2013 5:07 PM (in response to kwright2713)

Go to: Library/Internet Plug-ins and remove <AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin>. That fixed the Safari issue but I'm still working on the same PDF issue in Firefox. I'm going to remove <AdobePDFViewer.plugin> to see if that fixes the Firefox PDF issue.

Hey Yermudder, I found nothing about "User Terms" in either Reader v9.x.x nor Reader v11.x.x.

• Yermudder Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 29, 2013 5:29 PM (in response to niteowl)

Dunno then. When I first downloaded Reader 11.0.04, it did the usual thing when I first installed it--showed me the User Terms and made me agree. After that it worked fine with Safari 6.0.5. I'm running Mountain Lion, if that makes any difference. Maybe you need to go to Safari preferences make sure the "Open safe files" box is checked.

• niteowl Level 2 Level 2 (385 points)
    Sep 30, 2013 4:04 PM (in response to Yermudder)

I believe that the Safari preferences setting "Open safe files" only deals with files actually DOWNLOADED to the computer, not stuff that isn't actually downloaded but that is supposed to open in a new Safari browser window.

I have never had "Open safe files" selected, not ever, and I've never had PDFs not open in a browser window unless some other something or other was causing the problem, in this case it was  <AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin>.

Removing that Plugin is what worked for me......

Since don't remember any version of Adobe Reader Application ever asking me to ‘accept terms’ when I've opened it (unless it was on the Adobe web site before I was allowed to download the software*) I can't say that it isn't also problematic.

*That makes the most sense to me

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.