Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still "Processing..." 24hrs after big iPhoto library import?

So i imported my big (49,000 picture, 700GB) library into Aperture yesterday around 12noon. I chose to leave the files in their original location, not copy to the Aperture library.

Well here i am almost 24 hours later, and Aperture is still "Processing...."

Is this normal? How long should this process take? Is it just optimizing thumbnail previews etc? Is there any way to tell like how far its gone or how much time remaining? There is no progress bar or indicator besides the informative "Processing..."

I know i can still use the app during this time, but its slow and clunky. I just want the dang processing to finish so i can start actually using Aperture at full speed.

Aperture 3.2.1 running on MacPro Xeon 8 core 2.8GHz (4GB ram), and 10.6.8.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacPro Xeon 8 core 2.8GHz (4GB ram)

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 11:29 AM

4 replies

Nov 1, 2011 12:39 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

I just ordered 4GB more memory today actually. Sadly Aperture (or any 32bit app) cant use more than 2GB itself, but that should at least give some more breathing room.

And yeah I'm trying to just not use the CPU or Aperture at this point. My friend said "oh you can still use the app..." But When i tried it was clunky, so figured i'd be better off to just let it do its thing.

Oh and i also figured out that i can see what its going by clicking the "Processing..." to open up the Activity window. Its just cranking along through photos... so good to know its not hung in some sort of loop or something (I've read about permissions problems causing that).

Thanks for your help!

Still "Processing..." 24hrs after big iPhoto library import?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.