Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting notes alphabetically?

This topic has been raised a few times in the past but all the threads are archived and not active so here we go again!

I've just replaced my Windows phone with an iPhone 4S and much prefer the iPhone!

I'm disappointed though that I can't sort notes alphabetically. I have a couple of hundred notes, with all manner of things from airline eticket numbers with open dates (so can't put them in the calendar) to useful public addresses in Hindi for when I am piloting a flight to New Delhi etc etc.

On my 10 year old Sony Clié PDA and my old Windows phone, it was easy to find the relevant note in a hurry as they were alphabetically sorted, but my IOS5 iPhone 4S can't do it.

I've left feedback to Apple.

In the meantime, any suggestions?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:39 AM

Actually, there's a work around for this:

1. Launch your Notes app.

2. Press and hold down on yellow part of the Notes

3. Drag it down and a search bar appears on the top.

4. Type in the aphabatical letter (or content) that you want to narrow down to or search for.

This is better than sort by aphabatically if you have hundreds of list.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 4:39 AM in response to G from Holywood

Actually, there's a work around for this:

1. Launch your Notes app.

2. Press and hold down on yellow part of the Notes

3. Drag it down and a search bar appears on the top.

4. Type in the aphabatical letter (or content) that you want to narrow down to or search for.

This is better than sort by aphabatically if you have hundreds of list.

May 18, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Astroboy2000

Thanks for your _really_ helpful tip. A pretty simple workaround.

I carry an iphone because my company issued it to me.

My company blocks network access to cloud storage except icloud, so Evernote and its cousins are not a complete solution - if i'm on company wifi, evernote will 'inhale' the "forbidden" warning and that screws up the note. So i have to turn off wifi when i look at an evernote.

It would be so simple if we could sort notes alphabetically but i'm pretty sure there is zero chance of that feature being added to the notes app on my !@#$%^ phone.

I miss my blackberry which is still a better phone and text device than an iphone although it is no longer a good smartphone.

Sorting notes alphabetically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.