Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore from Time Machine without Leopard boot disc?

I purchased my MacBook around Summer 2007, before Leopard was released. It came with Tiger and with 10.4.9 Tiger boot/restore discs.

About a year later, the hard drive failed. After a trip to the Apple store, I received a new hard drive, with Leopard preinstalled. I eventually got an external drive to back up to with Time Machine. However, I never received a Leopard boot disc, and didn't think to make one.

Now, about 3 years later, my second hard drive has failed. I don't have a Leopard boot disc or drive. I still have the original 10.4.9 Tiger boot discs, however one attempt of copying from my Time Machine external drive to a new SSD drive using the on-disc restore function has not been successful. Is there any way to make it work without the Leopard boot disc? Is there a way to get the disc without having to pay for it?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 5:00 PM

15 replies

Nov 1, 2011 5:40 PM in response to MusicalMeg

Not denying that. Just showing where to find the disks that Apple no longer stocks.

Cost is relative. Is it important enough to keep "already paid for" hardware stil working instead of paying for all brand new hardware that ONLY runs Lion? I do not have that answer. Only you have it.

Ebay may have a better price (I do not ebay ... so please do not ask my opinions ont it).

Nov 1, 2011 6:16 PM in response to MusicalMeg

Hi Meg, sorry to hear your problem.

Well, do you know anybody else with a 10.5.8 Mac that you could use to restore things to another external drive?

If you don't mind moving to 10.6.x then for $29, It looks like they might still have it...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA

PS. One more reason not to rely on TM, as you can see, it's useless in many scenarios.

Nov 1, 2011 7:39 PM in response to MusicalMeg

Read for another person's almost identical experience: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3110162

Even has handy instructions provided by our resident "Kappy", a very well-informed individual.

This will put SL on your disk, but migrating the parts you want to keep from Tiger will be a bit tricky. A wee bit more tricky than I can answer, given your very specific situation.

But start by purchasing the SL disk.

Nov 2, 2011 6:52 PM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

. . .

What part, if any, of SL install allows TM to be read for reinstating elements like "user account" and "installed programs", if any considering the TM is Leopard?

After installing OSX on an empty disk, when it first starts up you'll have the option to transfer your stuff from another Mac or its Time Machine or "clone" backups. See Using Setup Assistant on Snow Leopard or Leopard for details.

How to restore from Time Machine without Leopard boot disc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.