Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from Webstar V to Lion Server - webroot location

I am about to migrate an old website from Webstar 5.4.2 (whatever the last version of Webstar was) to Lionserver Apache. Been reading up on things but was wondering if someone could just veryify something. I have 5 websites I am about to move. They were each in their own directories in the root level of the old server. I have read through the discussion about virtual domain hosting and the fix in Lion Server 10.7.2 (which I believe is that NameVirtualHost *:80 is now properly working from httpd.conf). What I wonder about is the appropriate sequence for moving the old directories over.

Question - Where is the webroot directory in Lion Server?

Is it Library/Web/Server/Data/Sites/Default/ or is it Library/Webserver/Documents

I assume I need to move the old directories into the webroot directory before I start anything and am not sure which of these it is in Lion Server.

Does this look right to anyone (I don't have the server yet and am just preparing before its arrival)? I am basing the paths below on turning on Web Sharing in client Lion and looking at the pathway for the "computer website"

1. Move the directories in queston from their own machine over into whichever is the right location

2. From the Web Server UI add the accounts and, for each one, point to its correct directory I have placed in the webroot.

3. If I have several aliases for a website can I use the Server UI to create several named accounts that point to the same physical folder or do I need to manualy add multiple named virtual hosts in the proper config files?

Thanks for any input and I apologize if I am using incorrect terminology. Have run WebStar servers for many years and this is my first attempt at using Apache.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Lion Server version of 10.7.2

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 9:47 PM

DocumentRoot is set to "/Library/WebServer/Documents". The default directory for the UI interface for a sites files is /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/CustomSitesDefault. Of course, you can symlink stuff anywhere you want. Or, define virtual servers anywhere you want. So, it may well be possible to simply keep the directories the same as they were and symlink them in if you wish. Some software may have config files where you must tell it where the files are stored, sometimes this is in a database. Speaking of which... I hope they are not MySQL databases.

I think you'd want to manually config aliases the proper Apache way, so, one virtual server with aliases. So, this would be command line as the UI is extremely limited. I added an Apache proxy server via command line just fine.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2011 9:47 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

DocumentRoot is set to "/Library/WebServer/Documents". The default directory for the UI interface for a sites files is /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/CustomSitesDefault. Of course, you can symlink stuff anywhere you want. Or, define virtual servers anywhere you want. So, it may well be possible to simply keep the directories the same as they were and symlink them in if you wish. Some software may have config files where you must tell it where the files are stored, sometimes this is in a database. Speaking of which... I hope they are not MySQL databases.

I think you'd want to manually config aliases the proper Apache way, so, one virtual server with aliases. So, this would be command line as the UI is extremely limited. I added an Apache proxy server via command line just fine.

Migrating from Webstar V to Lion Server - webroot location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.