Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I properly install the Japanese Keyboard layout on Windows 7 x64 (Macbook Pro)

I'm trying to finish setting up bootcamp on my macbook pro, but I decided to order it with the Japanese (also english though) keyboard layout. Bootcamp thinks it's a US keyboard layout so alot of the symbols and special characters don't work (" should be shift 2, @ should have it's own key). In addition the english key to the left of the space bar should switch input to english, as the kana to the right should switch to kana. So I was wondering if anyone had a solution, and so far I've already tried installing a recommended (from a forum on how to do this) keyboard, Fujitsu 109 Japanese USB keyboard, which someone showed working, special characters and english and kana keys were all working fine. However it still functions like a US layout keyboard (but I have a japanese one) after I installed the Fujitsu driver. It'd be really nice if this could be fixed, thanks guys.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Bootcamp

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 12:12 PM

Totally fixed now ^^

I don't really think the Fujitsu driver matters, but anyways:

Make sure you make Japanese>Microsoft IME your default and ONLY keyboard layout (if you're going for Japanese and English), and then if you haven't even installed Bootcamp yet, just make sure on install (windows-side, not mac side) make sure you use Language - English, Keyboard Layout - Japanese (Not sure if that step matters but just to be on the safe side ^^ ).

In addition, by default, the IME has the Eisuu (英数)key set to something else, so to use the Eisuu key to toggle English, go to Control Panel>Region and Language>Keyboards and Languages>Change Keyboards>Microsoft IME>Properties>Editing>Key Template>Advanced and scroll down to the Eisuu key, click assign, and click yes on the dialogue. In addition, scroll down to the Romaji (ローマ字) key and click on assign, and assign it to your Kana key. This way, your Kana key will switch from English to your last used Kana input method (either Romaji - typing with an English keyboard, where a = a (あ); or Kana - Japanese keyboard layout, where a = chi (ち).Click ok to to exit out of the windows you opened up and you're all set.

Hope this helps the small margin of people using this keyboard like me 😝 !

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2011 12:12 PM in response to Evanjs

Totally fixed now ^^

I don't really think the Fujitsu driver matters, but anyways:

Make sure you make Japanese>Microsoft IME your default and ONLY keyboard layout (if you're going for Japanese and English), and then if you haven't even installed Bootcamp yet, just make sure on install (windows-side, not mac side) make sure you use Language - English, Keyboard Layout - Japanese (Not sure if that step matters but just to be on the safe side ^^ ).

In addition, by default, the IME has the Eisuu (英数)key set to something else, so to use the Eisuu key to toggle English, go to Control Panel>Region and Language>Keyboards and Languages>Change Keyboards>Microsoft IME>Properties>Editing>Key Template>Advanced and scroll down to the Eisuu key, click assign, and click yes on the dialogue. In addition, scroll down to the Romaji (ローマ字) key and click on assign, and assign it to your Kana key. This way, your Kana key will switch from English to your last used Kana input method (either Romaji - typing with an English keyboard, where a = a (あ); or Kana - Japanese keyboard layout, where a = chi (ち).Click ok to to exit out of the windows you opened up and you're all set.

Hope this helps the small margin of people using this keyboard like me 😝 !

Nov 2, 2011 7:29 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Unfortunately, no. I'd seen these before you posted, but I tried repairing the boot camp drivers for good measure and nothing happened. The one that says select the S Keyboard on install looks promising, however, I didn't see that option during startup (I could try again though) and it still functions like a US keyboard 😟 I guess I'll try http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25134?viewlocale=en_US (archived but might work). Thanks for the response!

Nov 4, 2011 6:00 AM in response to Evanjs

Only going to bump this once, the Tilde key doesn't work either (it's on the far right of my keyboard and therefore doesn't even register as an existent key) and I need it for console in games and such (I can remap the console key in some though). Anyways I saw a Bootcamp update for the early 2011 MBP models for the Japanese and Korean keyboards, and unless I'm wrong, I think an update for the late 2011 MBP Models (the one I'm using) is needed, because the early 2011 ran on Snow Leopard, and the late 2011 are using Lion. I don't know it'd just be nice to get this working. Thanks!

How do I properly install the Japanese Keyboard layout on Windows 7 x64 (Macbook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.