Skip navigation

10.7.2 Mail extremely slow, iCloud preferences unusable, machine reboots during bootup

3064 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 3:16 AM by Tabboush RSS
Heronymo Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 1, 2011 8:37 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm having several problems with 10.7.2.

I tried reinstalling OS X Lion this evening, but it has not solved any of these problems.

Mail is incredibly slow. This started immidiately upon upgrading to 10.7.2. The iCloud system preferences pane doesn't load and completely freezes System Preferences when clicked on. Launching System Preferences in 32-bit mode somewhat solves this problem, but iCloud preferences runs extremely slow.

Also, my MacBook Pro reboots during startup almost every time I restart it. So far it has only done this while it has been connected to my Samsung HDTV via a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable in clamshell mode so I haven't noticed if it does this when I'm not using an external monitor. Therefore I can't be sure if it's a Thunderbolt-related problem or not. I don't even know if that's a possibility. However, I don't often restart my Mac and the instances that I have done so were when it was in clamshell mode. I realize some system updates have the machine reboot twice during startup, but this has happened even when not performing updates.

Anyone else experiencing any of these problems? I've noticed a couple of others mentioning similar problems with Mail and iCloud preferences, but I have yet to find a solution.

MacBook Pro (early 2011) 15 inch, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8 GB RAM
  • Tom Kendall Calculating status...

I'm having the same problem.  Upon launching Mail, it is not functional and consumes so much RAM (between 4.7 and 5 gb according to Activity Monitor, many times higher than any other application), that it also renders the entire system unusable until I force quit.  My problem also started right around the time I upgraded to OS X 10.7.2.  I ended up buying a third-party email application from the App Store just to be able to use email on my machine.

I tried launching Mail in 32-bit mode and it did not solve the problem.

• Michael McWatters Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

I am having the same problem. Hit reply, forward, etc. and mail just comes crashing to a halt, bringing the system with it. I can usually wait it out...5-10 seconds, but it's very annoying.

• multitasker Calculating status...

This fix by Heronymo worked for me for a while, but I have the problem back again, and I'm working with 10.7.4.   Every time I try to access icloud in system preferences on the icloud pane or the mail, contacts and calendars pane, the preferences becomes unresponsive and slowly every other program I'm running that accesses the internet becomes unresponsive (mail, firefox, ical, safari, etc.).  I have to force quit at least system preferences to be able to use my machine again.    I did copy back my Mail > V2 folder to it's original location.  Could that have brought the problem back?  if so, is there a way to permanently fix this and not loose my settings and messages for my hotmail and one other POP account? 

• Tabboush Calculating status...

The fix by Heronymo solved my problem too but I had to delete the Mail folder. It did not work if I kept the Mail folder.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.