Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How about an iOS firewall app?

It seems like it would be a standard thing to have for iOS. I think it would be great if it were added to the Settings and be similar to the Notifications section. It could just be a list of all of the installed apps with a ”Allow/Deny” option for each.

It might seem pointless for most people, but I am a musician that is slightly obsessed with keeping my song files, projects, etc, private and secure.

iPad

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 8:50 PM

20 replies

Nov 1, 2011 8:53 PM in response to JoeMusic

Not possible for an app to have any effect on the system as a whole within iOS because of the sandboxed nature of iOS apps. Any "firewalling" would effect only activities within that app itself.

Unless you're guarding the nation's nuclear secrets, I wouldn't worry about the security of your data on an iOS device as long as you keep physical control of the device itself.

If you want to suggest further security measures to Apple, here you go:

http://www.apple.com/support/feedback/

Nov 1, 2011 9:16 PM in response to John Hammer1

I just wouldn’t want any sort of hacker to get access to my songs, files, etc when doing something else such as using Safari. I also wouldn't want an app that I use to write songs to be accessing any type of network, or for that app and/or it's files, to be accessed somehow, if any of that is possible. Unless it has a feature such as uploading a song to a site, exporting through a network, etc, but not until I would be ready to use those features.

If any sort of hacking or anything is possible, or will be possible, others might be interested in a firewall as well, such as businesses and people that have important documents saved such as bills, bank information, etc.

Nov 1, 2011 9:20 PM in response to JoeMusic

Do you think you're the only person concerned about that? Do you think millions of people would be using their iOS devices for things like paying bills and sending sensitive information if the OS and the devices it powers weren't pretty darn secure?

Nothing is impenetrable, but any holes in iOS tend to get patched out as quickly as they're found. If you trust your desktop computer, you have no reason not to trust your iOS device. Just don't do dumb things such as transmitting your password or other sensitive data unencrypted on a network you don't control.

And again, follow the links given above if you want anyone from Apple to read your suggestion.

Nov 1, 2011 9:25 PM in response to John Hammer1

Apps are sandboxed, they can't access one another.

Banking apps use ssl-encryption.

If I use wifi at my house, I already have a firewall-it's called a router.

Why would a hacker with enough skill to somehow magically get access to your iPad through a network connection care about your music?

Why would he care about your bank account?

If he had such magical skills he could access the bank directly and empty it.

Time to restock I think:

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/promotions.asp

Nov 1, 2011 10:33 PM in response to JoeMusic

so there's actually no problem. as all the apps have a technology called sandboxing, so it could not access the whole ipad if it has a malware to spread all over. even it is a type of real firewall to protect all over your ipad.

and the hacker could not do anything like stealing your files and information in your ipad via your apps..

you told you have a router. thats secure and if you want more security, try giving encryption to your wifi.

if you're banking in it, just use a trusted app and it should be from your bank's company.

and the last thing i can say is...

only transfer sensitive information in a trusted wifi connection like your's.

as hackers are searching for loopholes, apple will be devoloping good operating system newer and newer and it is now ios5.

hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2011 1:31 AM in response to abilash432

I have experienced unusual things happening, such as a song loading up with different settings than I had saved it with. This happened after I switched the Wi-Fi setting to ”Off” in the iPad settings before opening the app. I suspect that this could have been caused by a glitch and/or some type of malfunction, but I don‘t know.

Nov 29, 2011 6:44 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Ok, the discussion here is interesting and informative, but I have been wondering. There are several password manager apps available. Some are open source, so in theory you can access and read the code (if you have the skill). However, what is the risk that such an app is able to upload a password file and the master password associated with that file?? Is there some inbuilt firewall to prevent this in IOS 5 ???

Dec 18, 2011 3:15 AM in response to JoeMusic

Joe, i am very concerned too, considering how much i use my ios devices. I think alot of people think ignorance is bliss when it comes to security. People should know that there are always bugs, always hackers and always exploits. although apples quality control systems and testing is very good, you will always have hackers and therefore exploits. As we recently have found out about carrier iq there is lots of information being logged about us.

Joe as sandboxing takes place and all apps are tested by apple thoroughly i feel the biggest threat to your security is a member of staff at apple, who with the amount of data we send apple will have alot on us, especially the fact they can cross reference your apple id info.

Considering the staff security of my last 3 companies, the biggest and most likely

threat would be if an internal apple hacker / dba working fell out with apple, we'd all be doomed.

Your point about password manager file, i suppose this is possible. The fact that nobody has responded is rather worrying.

Dec 18, 2011 8:44 AM in response to simonfromnewark

Are all the worriers discussing this in this thread all Windows users/sufferers?

iOS and all of Apple's devices are a closed system. AKA called sand boxing.

Apps do not talk to each other. If your worried about security when using a web browser, if your using a wireless router that has security features and firewall features active, this IS your security.

iOS devices, to date, have not been hacked and individual apps have not been hacked.

The only way for sensitive data to get to anyone is if you transmit the data through the Web on an unsecure website or website/s that do not have security certificates or separate secure area of their website/s.

Apple mobile devices and iOS have been with us for almost 5 years, now.

If someone wanted to hack these devices, it would've happened already.

Look at all the security flaws and virus present using the Android mobile OS.

It's riddled with security issues and viruses on Android on becoming as rampant as they are on a Windows computer!

The scenario in the mobile device world is going to be the same as it is in the computing world.

Apple products will end up being the more reliable, stable, easy to use and secure devices and OS to use while mobile devices that run other OSes, like Android, are going to be least reliable and secure.

This is already playing itself out!

Just enjoy using your Apple devices everyone.

No need to panic. There is nothing to see, here

;)

Dec 20, 2011 4:36 AM in response to MichelPM

Are all the worriers discussing this in this thread all Windows users/sufferers?

iOS and all of Apple's devices are a closed system. AKA called sand boxing.

Apps do not talk to each other. If your worried about security when using a web browser, if your using a wireless router that has security features and firewall features active, this IS your security.

So if I go to Starbucks I need to get the coffee guy to reconfigure the firewall?

iOS devices, to date, have not been hacked and individual apps have not been hacked.

The only way for sensitive data to get to anyone is if you transmit the data through the Web on an unsecure website or website/s that do not have security certificates or separate secure area of their website/s.

Apple mobile devices and iOS have been with us for almost 5 years, now.

If someone wanted to hack these devices, it would've happened already.

Google "Charlie Miller". He recently hacked iOS. There have been many others to do it too.

I know apple are quick to react to bugs and make quality products.

But iOS has like 5 billion apps. You think apple can security test them all.

Look at all the security flaws and virus present using the Android mobile OS.

It's riddled with security issues and viruses on Android on becoming as rampant as they are on a Windows computer!

The scenario in the mobile device world is going to be the same as it is in the computing world.

Apple products will end up being the more reliable, stable, easy to use and secure devices and OS to use while mobile devices that run other OSes, like Android, are going to be least reliable and secure.

This is already playing itself out!

Just enjoy using your Apple devices everyone.

No need to panic. There is nothing to see, here

😉

I'm not here to talk about other products, i just think iOS will be more secure if there is a firewall option.

Merry xmas.

How about an iOS firewall app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.