Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delivery and Read receipt in Apple Mail

Dear Concern

How to set delivery and read receipt in Apple Mail

Anwar

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 10:37 AM

This activates read receipts for ALL outgoing messages - regardless of the address from Apple Mail

• Quit Mail

• Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)

• Enter the following text (make sure to keep all quotes exactly as is!)

defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{"Disposition-Notification-To"="your@address";}'

(In place of "your@address", enter your own email address)

• All future messages sent with Mail will now include the Disposition-Notification-To header which is the one asking for a return receipt.

If you wish to turn off this feature in the future, type the following in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders

Keep in mind this is no guarantee the message was actually read by the recipient. It merely indicates the message was opened. It is also the option of the recipient to allow the response the email was read.

Happy Thanksgiving!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2013 10:37 AM in response to R600A

This activates read receipts for ALL outgoing messages - regardless of the address from Apple Mail

• Quit Mail

• Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)

• Enter the following text (make sure to keep all quotes exactly as is!)

defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{"Disposition-Notification-To"="your@address";}'

(In place of "your@address", enter your own email address)

• All future messages sent with Mail will now include the Disposition-Notification-To header which is the one asking for a return receipt.

If you wish to turn off this feature in the future, type the following in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders

Keep in mind this is no guarantee the message was actually read by the recipient. It merely indicates the message was opened. It is also the option of the recipient to allow the response the email was read.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 2, 2011 4:12 AM in response to kultaran

Receipts are not supported in Mail, for good reason.

Receipts are very unreliable since it is up to the recipient whether or not to respond to requests for read/received receipts

And, fwiw, many/most email users disable response to receipts in their email app/program if the program supports receipts. They consider it noone's business whether or not or when they read their email. Also, many email users do not want to inform spammers or other unknown senders when and if their email was read/received so therefore disable this function in their email app.

Aug 22, 2013 4:55 PM in response to Timothy Simmons

Hey Timothy and Bob, maybe one of you could help me. I have a really weird situation. I send and email from my icloud.com address to someone. Sometimes, I will get an email notifying me that the email has been read; but I receive this notification at my gmail.com address. How in the world is this possible???

Never mind. I just discovered where I had Mail set to request read receipts sent to my gmail.com address. This was done with the "Secrets" preference pane I had installed a while back and had forgotten that setting.

Message was edited by: trentwilbanks

Nov 24, 2013 9:34 AM in response to R600A

Do you realize that read receipts only work if the recipient has his email client configured to reply to and send read receipts? Read receipts for this reason are very unreliable since you won't receive a receipt if the recipient chooses not to send one. The default action and preferred action of recipients is to not send read receipts for security reasons.

Besides, many recipients believe it is no body's business other than their own whether or not and when they read their email.

If you want to set up a request for receipt in a third party email application such as gmail etc., go to the respective email application's web site support area where read receipts will be discussed if the application supports read receipts.

Feb 21, 2014 7:28 AM in response to Jessica's Apple ID

Jessica\'s Apple ID wrote:

Still not working.

I'm on OS X 10.9.1

Use gmail

Office Mac 2011 - which does not provide Delivery and Read receipt

Followed your instructions, using Apple Mail for gmail, still not working...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

My suggestion is to stop trying to use an unsupported function. Read receipts are not supported in Mail, for good reason. And as already sated a couple of times in this thread, it is not under your control whether a recipient returns a read receipt or not. So if the recipient has control, what good does it do you to request a read receipt? You are wasting your time trying to use read receipts.

Feb 28, 2014 1:42 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

For "good reason"?

You use any Chat app like Line or Viber and you get AUTOMATIC receipt statuses that the message is being sent, that it has been sent, that it has been seen.

There is no need for the recipient to do anything other than open the App and click on the chat stream.

I need to know if my shift selections at work have been received by deadline. I need proof of that.

What's the good reason that this cannot be done automatically?

Delivery and Read receipt in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.