Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Others can't accept iCal invitations in Outlook (PC) I sent from my iCloud calender, but can from my local calender? Their invite states: "as the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting."

Others can't accept iCal invitations in Outlook (PC) I sent from my iCloud calender, but can from my local calender? Their invite states; "as the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting." This problem only appeared since I upgraded my iMac and iOS devices (iPad/iPhone) to iOS5, introducing iCloud I moved all my meetings to the iCloud calender.

I see a lot of people here having issues with oulook/iCal but not quite this one. Does anyone have a solution? The alternative would be switching back to using a local calender, which would mean loosing the advantages of iCloud obviously.

Thanks for any help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 3:18 AM

11 replies

Jan 3, 2012 3:08 AM in response to MelleBos

I am having the same issue as well. Only being new to the Mac world I set up iCloud calander up and when sending invites to my work email address I get a iCal invite in outlook but I am unable to accept as the message tells me that I am the organizer.

Despite the email coming from my personal email account, the iCal invite shows my work email address as the organizer. I then get the same message. As if it can't recognize the sending email address.

I am using hotmail and do not have a name@me.com account. Is anyone experiencing this issue with a @ me.com account.

If I send an invite to another personal email address it works fine. Seems to be only with outlook and the iCloud. It appears to be a bug. I would have thought apple would have come across this already in their release.

If anyone can assist or enlighten me how to fix this issue it would be appreciated.

Jan 5, 2012 11:45 AM in response to MelleBos

I converted my wife from me.com account to icloud. This is a bug with icloud right now and only apple can fix this. The problem is that the ics file is not formated according to the ics standard (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt). Here's an example below. From me.com account the organizer field looks like this:

ORGANIZER;CN=Doe Jane:mailto:JaneDoe@me.com

With an icloud ics file you get the following:

ORGANIZER;CN=Doe Jane;EMAIL=JaneDoe@me.com:urn:uuid:582538462

First problem is the equal (=) sign after EMAIL. Also I'm not sure why they used "EMAIL" instead of "mailto" but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Once you change the = to a colon (:) it starts working better, at least you are no longer the organizer.

Second problem, they have extra parameters after the email address which now get included in the email address once the colon is in place. These parameters are not in the spec and should be on another line or included in quotes. The closest parameter I could find in the specs is the UID parameter.

Not sure how to report a bug but they really need to fix this. I dont know how they could have missed something this obvious.

Jan 20, 2012 1:20 PM in response to joeboyall

Thanks for leading me in the right direction to a solution to this. Your suggestion to reformat the ORGANIZER according the the iCloud version of the .ICS file didn't actually work for me, so I researched the iCalendar standard a bit more (for a more recent specification, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545). I'm still unsure exactly what is causing the problem for me, but it seems to be related to the ATTENDEE lines—if I delete them, iCal doesn't crash and is able to accept or decline successfully. Between iCal's fragile handling of .ICS files and Outlook's non-standard formatting, I'm not sure who to blame (I've seen similar issues when using Google Calendar, as well), but while it's inconvenient to edit any Outlook-initiated meeting request files, at least I'm able to accept meeting requests again.

Mar 1, 2012 11:57 AM in response to joeboyall

I can confirm that I am having exactly the same problem as reported by joeboyall, and upon examing the .ics it has the same problem as described on the ORGANIZER line within the .ics. Does anyone have any further information on how to work around this or when this will be fixed by Apple? I currently cannot accept any invites that are generated by iCloud when I open them on my PC within Outlook...

Mar 16, 2012 9:51 AM in response to SiliconTiger

I have discovered a workaround to this painful issue. In the email received from iCloud, click on the big "Accept" button (in the body of the email) and it will take you to a webpage where it shows that you accepted the specific invite. From that iCloud webpage, you'll see you can download a .ics to add to your calendar. Download that .ics and open it, and you can save that into your calendar by just pressing the save icon from the Quick Access toolbar (although the Organizer is still not correct...it still thinks it's me). Strange that the .ics that is attached to the original email cannot be saved into your Outlook calendar, but the one you can download off the iCloud webpage after you accept can be. It's a lot of clicking to get it into your Outlook calendar, but at least it somewhat works (albeit again without the proper Organizer listed)...

Others can't accept iCal invitations in Outlook (PC) I sent from my iCloud calender, but can from my local calender? Their invite states: "as the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.