Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prevent Mail.app from automatically updating Address Book entries?

Hi,

Before iCloud was launched I kept my iPhone's Contacts separate to OS X's Address Book. Now with the iCloud Contacts sync I wanted to merge the address books and stumbled onto a problem. For some people I prefer to keep their entries in Adress Book as First Names only. I use it e.g. for my family and friends. Sometimes in the First Name's field I put their nicknames istead - just prefer it this way. There's no need for surnames as I am able to identify anyway.

Now, with iCloud active every time I answer to my family's emails sent from business adressess where they use full names, Mail.app automatically updates my Address Book with their surnames. This then automatically updates Contacts on my iPhone and when someone from that group calls me I see Nickname LastName calling and it's obviously just wrong. I do not want Mail to automatically update my contacts. How do I stop it?

Michal

PS. I found this discussion, but no solution there. "Use Last Names" is not an answer for me.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 5:16 AM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2012 9:17 PM in response to Michal_M

The solution mentioned in the above link works, but does more than what I asked for (not really good in this case) My problem was to "disable Mail from updating Address Book".

The solution

* Disables Mail from updating address book

* Disables Mail from auto-completing addresses from previous sender's/receipients'

Is there a solution to just do the first and not the second.

Feb 1, 2012 12:14 AM in response to SayWhat0

Sorry to disappoint you, SayWhat0, but unfortunately this is not possible. Apple did not include such a setting and this solution is what I'd call a workaround really. It solves the problem, but as you've mentioned not without drawbacks. I believe there is no other way to resolve this at the moment.

I have already reported the issue via this link http://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

All I could suggest is to do the same and hope Apple will introduce a setting for this.

How to prevent Mail.app from automatically updating Address Book entries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.