Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac11,2 Blue Screening in Windows 7 32bit

Hi,

I have several (about 50) of the mid-2010 27in iMacs (11,2 model) which I am having some serious issues with using Windows 7 and Boot Camp.

In short, they all BSOD and reboot with the original dump file giving little indication as to the cause (VISTA_DRIVER_ERROR) but no information on what runnig driver caused it.

I enabled the driver verifier and the resulting BSOD and minidump file said "WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mssmbios.sysms" with a complaint a little further down about impcd.sys which is the driver for the Intel Media Turbo Boost device, which coincidentally wont start under Windows on this model.

I have tried every version of Boot Camp and associated drivers to no avail and obviously looking at the Turbo Boost device being the probable cause i have tried both disabling and even uninstalling this device, again with no affect.

This all hints at a Firmware issue to me however Software Update is not offering me any for this particular model and the Apple technical doc that describes the latest firmware versions available doesnt even list my model (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237) which is even more baffling.

Has anyone else experienced such issues with this model iMac and/or this device running under Windows 7 as its driving me crazy now...

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 5:16 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2011 7:08 AM in response to bezzoh

I'm becoming increasingly baffled by this. BlueScreenView that I have recently used to look further at the dump files is giving me KERNAL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (0x1000008e) caused by halmacpi.dll

Any attempt at 'googling' this with the word iMac only comes back with French, or Russian results which are difficult to read when translated and still dont point to a resolution.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Nov 14, 2011 8:53 AM in response to bezzoh

uninstall a driver, not a device (usually)

you don't say so I'll assume BC 3.3 or Lion BC 4.01 drivers.

I'd go with the Lion drivers

BC 3.0 pre date Windows which is why Apple had to "requires 3.1" which misleads (you have to install 3.0 and update).

I now use Bing, and esp for Windows related questions.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=KERNAL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED+0x1000008e

1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
  3. Check your hard disk for errors.

This article from above Bing search results is probably the most productive:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/kernelmodeexce ptionnothandled-0x1000008e/5bc2def6-083c-429d-8696-8423d1df3893

Given the prevalence of DNS poisioning and 100 other issues, the chkdsk and RAM test as well as look at what AV Suite you use and steps to take in that regard.

Seeing it is common on your LAN it could be custom install, program, drivers, rather than Apple's (not that they are w/o fault or bugs). '

A story of how 3 people out of 5500 opened an email (one system was under repair and missed the last update patch cycle, and only took one for a trojan to slip into the server and weeks later send out company data - and it was targeted type email, "HR needs you to fill out and update your xyz for us")

I would think Lion BC 4.01 is best bet, link in thread in my bookmarks or take a look or get Lion on your system and just run BCA to download a set.

Fan control of course isn't really supported that well, Windows does not and I can't find any sign Apple SMC is doing anything in that department.

Microsoft Security Essentials is suppose to be based on their enterprise product's engine and well behaved under Windows 7 - I use that on two systems and Kaspersky PURE on two others.

If it was me, I would take one system, backup and clone first with Paragon Clone OS, do a clean install and careful update. Then choose either BC 4 or 3.3 but don't go beyond, once I have a device ID error, seems next to impossible to do anything.

The way Apple was installing 64-bit drivers and support for iTunes changed and led to a lot of hair pulling over the new version and iOS 5 support/upgrade and compatibility. Normal installs by Apple actually leave old code and installer cache behind and could muck things up.

If a clean install works that would help know where else to look. I suspect it will work.

If every system was upgrade with the same RAM or hard drive upgrades and there was a bad batch.... might never find. Or if firmware on some yhard drives. Like support for some SSDs this year.

I know when I run into trouble it makes my head swim and can't see straight or sleep until I figure it out.

... sorry for the length!!

iMac11,2 Blue Screening in Windows 7 32bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.