Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to check my firmware EFI version

Hello

how can i check what is the version installed on my macbook pro early 2011 firmware version?

Thank you

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 6:54 AM

The SMC & EFI firmware version in e.g. mac OS (High) Sierra can be found in the "Apple-Menu > About this Mac > Overview-Tab > System Report...". In the System Report application click "Hardware" in the left section and on the right the (EFI) "Boot ROM Version" and the "SMC Version (system)" will be displayed.

The "System Report" application ("Systeminformationen" in German) can be found via the Launchpad as well!

User uploaded file

(Screenshot of the System Report application, Hardware section, taken from Apple forum)

Updates of the SMC or EFI Firmware can be found at the Apple downloads page:

Apple - Support - Downloads

Firmware Updates for (older) Macs can be found in the following archive page:

About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2017 6:54 AM in response to Laith99

The SMC & EFI firmware version in e.g. mac OS (High) Sierra can be found in the "Apple-Menu > About this Mac > Overview-Tab > System Report...". In the System Report application click "Hardware" in the left section and on the right the (EFI) "Boot ROM Version" and the "SMC Version (system)" will be displayed.

The "System Report" application ("Systeminformationen" in German) can be found via the Launchpad as well!

User uploaded file

(Screenshot of the System Report application, Hardware section, taken from Apple forum)

Updates of the SMC or EFI Firmware can be found at the Apple downloads page:

Apple - Support - Downloads

Firmware Updates for (older) Macs can be found in the following archive page:

About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2017 6:42 AM in response to Rangdrol

@Rangdrol, thanks for sharing. This is very relevant information, especially when companies are researching firmware security vulnerabilities.

@Apple.Security.Team, keeping articles like this around would help businesses get insight into firmware levels and help them isolate update issues to their hardware. Until your operating system updates start to warn users about outdated firmware or failures during the update to firmware, this information is still relevant.

I notice that that the link (referenced above) is now been archived and no longer updated. It really should be if firmware failures in the wild are happening and businesses need to identify this detail on their devices.

Oct 1, 2017 2:04 AM in response to Rangdrol

I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.6, when I go to About this Mac, I get a window that has the tabs Overview, Displays, Storage, Memory, Support and Service. It also has two buttons System Report... and Software Update... No Hardware tab or More Info. If I go to System Report.. I get an extensive list of all the Hardware, Network and Software in the system and reports on what it is doing (the USB one is very useful...). I don't see any EFI listing here. What am i missing. Thanks for the help.

--jim

May 26, 2012 5:57 PM in response to Laith99

If you go to About this Mac>More Info tab click on the Hardware tab and this will give you the name of your Computer called Model Name, and also Model Identifier.

If you continue down on that same page, you will see Boot ROM version: MM41.00 etc. and then SMC version (system) that is your current Firmware number.

Then you can go to this Apple support page, and there is a nice list for Intel-based macs, and your firmware update is listed there, if you need it. It is suggested that if you download and install it, you should have your Software Install application open so that it will warn you if you already have the firmware version installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

I did considerable searching to find this site...hope that this helps others who are looking for this info.

how to check my firmware EFI version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.