Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail not syncing email sent from iPhone/iPad

Hi,

I have a gmail imap e-mail account and am using various Apple devices such as an iPhone and iPad along with an iMac and MacBook Air. All works well except for 1 problem:

I have noticed that mail "sent" or saved as a "draft" from either my iPhone or iPad do not show in Apple Mail on my iMac or MBA, yet they are visible in the gmail webmail site.

I have scanned the Apple community site and various other blogs/sites but as I have followed instructions for setting up the account correctly on all devices, I am at a loss.

There is however this instruction (below) I discovered but when I highlight say my gmail "sent mail" box or any of the others, then select Mailbox from the menu bar, "Use this mailbox for > sent" is grayed out so I cant actually set that. This could be the problem.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Properly sort Drafts, Deleted, and Sent mail in Apple Mail

Similar steps must be taken to ensure that any emails sent, saved as drafts, or deleted are properly identified by Gmail’s servers. After completing the IMAP setup steps for Apple Mail, instructing Mail is a few simple clicks away. Once your Gmail IMAP account is added to Mail, you’ll notice your [Gmail account] in the left sidebar.

1. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Sent Mail’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Sent’.
  2. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Drafts’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Drafts’
  3. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Trash’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Trash’
  4. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Spam’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Junk’

Once properly configured, managing email from Apple Mail or the iPhone will be no different from managing emails within the Gmail web client – sent, drafts, trash, and junk properly sorted between your various email clients and web interface.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), MacBook Air, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 8:24 AM

do you have any other folders named 'Sent Items'

check under the GMAIL heading for this, if one is shown there then do the above on that

If you are doing this on the one it thinks is the sent items it will be greyed as it assumes this is the one its using

5 replies

Jan 17, 2013 7:18 AM in response to mscroop

You genius.

This works for all IMAP mailboxes too.

I have been so annoyed that the apple mail program would not put sent items in the correct 'sent' mailbox on the server.

to such an extent i have switched to Thunderbird.

What is the point of apple mail having a selection in mail set up of 'on the server' that is different to every other programs on the server mailbox.

i have set up the same email address on Ipads, Iphones, Windows PCs (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird) and ALL of these use the exact same mailbox for sent items 'on the server', only the apple mail creates its own!

The above instruction (with Gmail removed)

Highlight ‘Sent Mail’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Sent’.

Works for all my other IMAP mailboxes. Well done!

Apple mail not syncing email sent from iPhone/iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.