Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine never finishes backup

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue where my Time Machine virtually sits in the "finishing backup" stage forever. I haven't seen it finish, and have given it several days. The problem started after I installed a new external OWC 2 TB hard drive and copied all my files from an older drive. The drive came preformatted in the Mac OS Journaled format.

I've tried everything on the Time Machine Troubleshooting resource (http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Troubleshooting.html) and still no luck.

Verified all Disks (there were problems that have been fixed)

Repaired all Disks

Repaired permissions of my startup disk.

Reformatted and erased my TM backup drive

I also downloaded and ran Time Buddy which produced the following log:

------

Starting standard backup

Backup requested by user

Backup requested by user

Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup/Backups.backupdb

Ownership is disabled on the backup destination volume. Enabling.

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Design

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Media

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD

Backup content size: 1049.0 GB excluded items size: 0 bytes for volume Design

Backup content size: 928.3 GB excluded items size: 718.9 GB for volume Media

Backup content size: 313.5 GB excluded items size: 73.9 GB for volume Macintosh HD

No pre-backup thinning needed: 1.76 TB requested (including padding), 1.82 TB available

Waiting for index to be ready (909 > 0)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 130, length 7, native = no)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 132, length 7, native = no)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 130, length 7, native = no)

SystemFlippers: Consumed too much data for FREF ID 129 (pBase = 0x523ce0, p = 0x523d69, pEnd = 0x523ce7)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 129, length 7, native = no)

SystemFlippers: Consumed too much data for FREF ID 131 (pBase = 0x53aee0, p = 0x53afe6, pEnd = 0x53aee7)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 13

-----

Could this be because I didn't reformat my new drive before I copied over my files?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Jay

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 8:42 AM

10 replies

Nov 3, 2011 9:33 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks so much for the advice BDAqua, I followed the instruction in those links, but it still seems like time machine isn't completing. This time it looks like its just continuously backing up over over. Before everything got messed up, the sizes of my backups were around a TB. Not much has changed file-wize, and it looks like theres 500gb of extra data in the backup (could be more, it still hasn't finished yet). It also looks like the backup is proceeding extremely slowly, as it has been stuck at 22kb of 488mb for about 20 minutes now.

Heres my TimeBuddy log:

Starting standard backup

Backing up ato: /Volumes/Backup/Backups.backupdb

Ownership is disabled on the backup destination volume. Enabling.

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Design

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Media

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD

Backup content size: 1049.2 GB excluded items size: 0 bytes for volume Design

Backup content size: 929.2 GB excluded items size: 718.9 GB for volume Media

Backup content size: 315.1 GB excluded items size: 75.0 GB for volume Macintosh HD

No pre-backup thinning needed: 1.76 TB requested (including padding), 1.82 TB available

Waiting for index to be ready (909 > 0)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 132, length 7, native = no)

SystemFlippers: Consumed too much data for FREF ID 129 (pBase = 0x522cf0, p = 0x522d79, pEnd = 0x522cf7)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 129, length 7, native = no)

SystemFlippers: Consumed too much data for FREF ID 131 (pBase = 0x537220, p = 0x537326, pEnd = 0x537227)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 131, length 7, native = no)

Copied 533947 files (1045.8 GB) from volume Design.

Copied 566320 files (1254.6 GB) from volume Media.

Copied 1325302 files (1480.1 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.

No pre-backup thinning needed: 2.13 GB requested (including padding), 373.39 GB available

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type FREF (id 132, length

Any ideas?

Nov 3, 2011 10:33 PM in response to jayquercia

Whew, would you like some far better/far more useful/ far less cantankourous rrecommendations than TM for Backup?

Forget the last time I tried it, but even when it reported no errors... the attempts to restore were less than useful... personally I can't figure out how/why Apple came up with such a Backup APP! 😟

Let me know which way you want to go.

I only graduated from the 6th grade, but the great Pondini seems to have mastered TM, where I have a dozen of more methods of Backup that I can actually rely on...

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Troubleshooting.html

Nov 4, 2011 5:08 PM in response to jayquercia

jayquercia wrote:

. . .

SystemFlippers: Consumed too much data for FREF ID 129 (pBase = 0x523ce0, p = 0x523d69, pEnd = 0x523ce7)

Those appear to be problems with files from another system, such as Windoze. "Endian" refers to the order in which bytes are stored, which is different on different operating systems. It's also possible they're normal Mac files but so badly corrupted that OSX doesn't really know what they are or what's wrong with them. The fact that you had directory problems might indicate the latter.

These don't stop a backup, though; but could well slow it down while OSX is trying to deal with them. Unfortunately, the message doesn't include the file name, so it's not going to be easy to find them.

Do you recall which disk(s) had directory problems? If so, exclude it/them from backups per #10 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions. If not, try excluding the Design and Media drives.

If the backup runs normally, remove one of the exclusions and try again, to try to narrow the problem down.

Nov 6, 2011 2:01 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the response Pondini,

So I tried excluding all drives and have narrowed the problem down to being with my "Design" drive. As long as that drive is excluded, the others back up fine. Unfortunately, that's really the only drive I care about being backup up 🙂

I read a few things on other forums saying that since I recently replaced an old external harddrive with a new one with the same name, Time Machine was getting confused. For this reason, I decided to rename my new "Design" drive to "Work". Since I knew the problem was only with that drive, I excluded all others and just attempted to backup Work. To my surpise, the backup actually finished. I thought I was out of the woods, and decided to un-exclude my other drives one by one. Upon attempting another backup, time machine stays in the preparing backup phase, and has not actually started backing up.

I'm getting the following error in my TimeBuddy log (along with the UUID error from before)

node requires deep traversal:/ reason:kFSEDBEventFlagMustScanSubDirs

I've read that this is because Time Machine doesn't trust that the files on the backup volume and the others are the same. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Nov 6, 2011 2:14 PM in response to jayquercia

jayquercia wrote:

. . .

So I tried excluding all drives and have narrowed the problem down to being with my "Design" drive. As long as that drive is excluded, the others back up fine.

Yay!

I read a few things on other forums saying that since I recently replaced an old external harddrive with a new one with the same name, Time Machine was getting confused

It doesn't get confused, exactly, but since it's a different drive, Time Machine will do a new full backup of it. (On Lion, there's a way to prevent that, but not earlier).

node requires deep traversal:/ reason:kFSEDBEventFlagMustScanSubDirs

I've read that this is because Time Machine doesn't trust that the files on the backup volume and the others are the same. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

It's not a major issue. It means that Time Machine doesn't know whether the previous backup got everything it was supposed to (probably since that backup failed). So instead of using the hidden log of changes that OSX keeps on each drive, Time Machine must compare everything on your internal HD to the backups to figure out what needs to be backed-up. That will take a while longer, of course. But once the backup completes, subsequent backups should be fine.

Nov 7, 2011 9:40 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks so much for all the help so far! Waiting for it to finish did the trick 🙂

The only issue now is each backup takes about 2.5 hours (even when I haven't edited any files during that time period. The easy solution would be to only run time machine when I need to make a backup, but just wondering if there was any solution to this problem. Here's my TimeBuddy log:

Starting standard backup

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb

No pre-backup thinning needed: 499.4 MB requested (including padding), 246.11 GB available

Copied 473528 files (2.7 MB) from volume Work.

Copied 496905 files (197.6 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.

Copied 499586 files (197.6 MB) from volume Media.

No pre-backup thinning needed: 281.6 MB requested (including padding), 245.84 GB available

Copied 473528 files (28 bytes) from volume Work.

Copied 496897 files (67.5 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.

Copied 499578 files (67.5 MB) from volume Media.

Starting post-backup thinning

No post-back up thinning needed: no expired backups exist

Backup completed successfully.

Nov 7, 2011 9:50 PM in response to jayquercia

That's ridiculously slow, and it's still reporting huge file counts and identical sizes from two different volumes. 😟 Otherwise, there aren't any unusual messages in the log.

Try the things in the green box of #D2 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

If nothing there helps, your installation of OSX may be damaged. You might want to install the appropriate "combo" update, per Installing the ''combo'' update and/or Reinstalling OSX. If that doesn't help, an Archive and Install will get you a fresh copy of OSX; then apply the "combo" again.

Nov 17, 2011 9:13 AM in response to Pondini

Pondini: Endianness is not about Mac vs Windows. Whether a machine is big-endian or little-endian depends on its processor architecture, not its operating system. Modern Macs and PCs both use Intel processors, which are little-endian.

The error messages jayquercia is reporting looks related to resource forks, which is a legacy (i.e. Mac OS 9) data storage method. There are Carbon APIs for reading these data structures. This particular function, CoreEndianFlipData(), is documented in Endian.h. The error codes are in MacErrors.h:

/* CoreEndian error codes. These can be returned by Flippers. */

enum {errCoreEndianDataTooShortForFormat = -4940,
errCoreEndianDataTooLongForFormat = -4941,
errCoreEndianDataDoesNotMatchFormat = -4942};

1. Don't make stuff up to impress people on the Internet.

2. It is exceptionally unlikely this warning is at all related to backupd's inability to complete a backup.

Nov 17, 2011 10:06 AM in response to Paul Schreiber

Paul Schreiber wrote:

Pondini: Endianness is not about Mac vs Windows. Whether a machine is big-endian or little-endian depends on its processor architecture, not its operating system. Modern Macs and PCs both use Intel processors, which are little-endian.. .

Yes, as posted, it's likely something that came from a different system. My abject apologies for not specifying that it could be a different processor.

1. Don't make stuff up to impress people on the Internet.

Kindly get off your high horse.

2. It is exceptionally unlikely this warning is at all related to backupd's inability to complete a backup.

Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Oh, guess what - - I did. From the same post: "These don't stop a backup, though"

Might I suggest a bit more attention to detail on your part, too?

Time machine never finishes backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.