14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 1:08 AM by simoism
Raziel1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been unsuccessfull in getting this service to work. Here is a breakdown of what I have done:

• Upgraded to the latest version of Lion
  • Successfuly installed the Recovery HD update (I also am able to select it in the boot menu when I turn on my Mac)
  • Enabled location services
  • Enabled Find my Mac in iCloud preferences (this is NOT greyed out)
  • Scanned my disk for any errors (there were none)
  • Connected only to WiFi

As far as I can see - I have done everything correct, however, my Mac does not show up i the devices list. I'm running a 2nd generation Macbook Pro.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 (103,360 points)
  • Raziel1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Carolyn,

I've already read that. In fact all the things I mentioned in my original post all came from the troubleshooting steps in that document.

• ennio99 Level 1 (25 points)

It appears that Carolyn doesn't have time to actually bother reading what anyone has written: and possibly doesn't have too many answers anyway. She is very busy rushing around and trying to leave her mark on as many posts as possible

When you have said:

• Enabled Find my Mac in iCloud preferences (this is NOT greyed out)

I'm presuming that you mean MacBook Pro > System Preferences > iCloud > Find my Mac

then when you say:

however, my Mac does not show up i the devices list.

that you mean you open Safari, navigate to iCloud.com > Find my iPhone > My Devices

and the MBP isn't listed there?

Ennio99, that is correct.

I just wanted to add that I've just completed a new installation of Lion and I still cannot see my Mac in Find My iPhone.

• wparker61 Level 1 (0 points)

Ditto here. I also created a new partition, and clean install of Lion, and STILL can't get my MBP to show in the list of devices. 15" MBP Core2Duo (2006 MacBook2,2) here.

Is there any sort of hardware requirement, perhaps? If so, I'd think I wouldn't even be allowed to enable Location Services (System Prefs > Security > Enable Location Services).

Sorry Raziel1, don't know what to suggest.

Are your other iCloud services working OK? Do you have another OS X or iOS device: can iCloud find that?

You won't want to hear this but mine just worked

• superded Level 1 (0 points)

I did the same steps and I have the same problem.  I have an iPhone and an iPad hooked to the same wireless router and they show up but i get a no location found for my 2011 macbook pro 15".

I also seem to have a location problem only related to Safari (location services are enabled for safari and Safari is allowed).  The funny thing is that location services work in Chrome and Firefox.

I wonder if they are related (system). Raziel1 can you validate if you also have this problem with location services in Safari.

Site to test in Safari  :

http://benwerd.com/lab/geo.php

I created a new test account to see if the issue is user related or system wide and it seems system wide.

I reinstalled Lion with the recovery partition and the issue stays.

I have no idea what to do next.  Any ideas ?

Superded, have you enabled location serices in:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy

and when you access a service using one of the web browsers you mention, and which uses your location, does it report in the list of apps that have requested your location in the past 24 hours?

• superded Level 1 (0 points)

Yes I have enabled location services.  If I try to use Safari to test geolocation I am prompted to accept and I find Safari in the list of apps that have requested my location but if I use Firefox or Chrome I get my location but they don't appear in the list.

What about System Preferences > Energy Saver?

Today I have installed Lion 10.7.2 on my MacBook (up to now only had it on iMac). When I fired-up iCloud.com in Safari and in Find My iPhone selected my MacBook it took me to System Preferences > Energy Saver ... which an always connected iMac would never need to consider

Here's hoping Superded

• simoism Level 1 (0 points)

I think this issue affects 2,2 model Macbook Pro's. There is a similar thread here which seems to confirm this.

How do we tell Apple about this issue so it can be fixed?

simoism wrote:

I think this issue affects 2,2 model Macbook Pro's. There is a similar thread here which seems to confirm this.

How do we tell Apple about this issue so it can be fixed?

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

• simoism Level 1 (0 points)

Excellent! Thanks ennio99

Have submitted a message via that page. Hopefully a fix will come through soon.

~Simo