Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I collage two or more videos into one shot?

i would like to add some found historic footage to some footage i shot myself.. How do i collage two videos into one.. i would like to seemlessly combine various images and not lose sync with the live music footage.. but be able to add my own imagery on top.. this should be very easy but seems very difficult...

i guess i can use transitions but i always have a hard time keeping the audio synced.. . i am not familiar with the new imovie . i was an expert five years ago.. the new version seems very difficult.. should i get a book?

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 2:52 PM

3 replies

Nov 2, 2011 8:05 PM in response to Dougs mac

To put two videos on the screen you have a couple of options.

First, go to iMovie/Preferences and make sure that the Advanced Tools are enabled.

Now, you can add the first video clip to the project. Drag the second video clip and drop it in the project on the frame of video where you want it to start. A popup menu will appear. Here you can choose several options, including Cutaway, Picture In Picture, Side By Side, etc.

For what you are describing, I might try using a Cutaway. Then go into the Inspector for the Cutaway Clip by clicking on the gear wheel icon in the clip. Then adjust the Opacity Slider so you can see both clips at once.

I find the new iMovie very easy to use, but it is quite different from the old iMovie. It is worth spending some time to learn the new interface. David Pogue/s Missing Manual book is good, but before you spend money on it, I recommend that you spend some time with the following resources.

iMovie 08 Video Tutorials

iMovie 09 Video Tutorials

iMovie 11 Video Tutorials are embedded in the iMovie/Help.

iMovie 09 Tutorial from Ken Stone

iMovie 11 New Features.

how do I collage two or more videos into one shot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.