Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remedy SLOW and erratic iTunes download/streaming?

I have enjoyed the speed and ease fo Apple TV so much that we canceled cable TV. Now we have started encountering MAJOR frustrations. I purchase an episode of Modern Family on iTunes, and instead of streaming and letting me view while it is streaming, the show stops after two minutes and then starts to download the entire episode before allowing viewing, and coming up with some really ridiculous download times (29 minutes download for a 21 minute show). I checked the network connection, and signal strength is good. Speedtest.net shows my system download speed at 23Mbps. I have a wireless connection with an Airbase. Streaming from Vudu and You Tube via my blue-ray player (also wireless) is flawless. I reset the ATV two days ago after similar difficulties, and it appeared to work fine for 48 hours; but now it is back on the fritz. This is SO un-Apple-like.

Any recommendations?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 7:02 PM

1 reply

Nov 3, 2011 3:51 AM in response to DrCharlie

If resetting the Apple TV or router resolve the problem temporarily you may have interference on your network, signal strength does not necessarily guarantee no interference.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel.

How to remedy SLOW and erratic iTunes download/streaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.