Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPad can not be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the selected items (additional 1.02 GB required).

The iPad cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the selected items (additional 1.02 GB required).

yet there is still 8.6 gigs free... what should i do?

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 7:19 PM

32 replies

Nov 14, 2011 5:36 PM in response to peterfromloudonville

Quit iTunes, restart your computer and then see if either of these things will resolve the issue for you.

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Jan 13, 2012 2:47 PM in response to WyndhamClampett

WyndhamClampett wrote:

I am so sorry you got these incredibly stupid replies as I have a similar problem and was hoping for assistance.

The original poster said he had over 8Gb free which is more than enough to copy 1.02Gb. Why do people reply without bothering to proerly read the query?

Yes, that's excellent advice which you so very clearly do need to keep in mind. For my part, I wonder at people who submit their comments and questions without bothering to edit and correct them and, with that said, I shall join the legion of users here who will ignore you.

Jan 13, 2012 2:47 PM in response to Ralph9430

Ralph9430 wrote:

When I read the OP I get the idea that he has 8.6 GB free but needs an additional 1.02 GB of space to accommodate all that is selected to be Synced. That tells me that the OP is trying to copy 9.62 GB of data into an 8.6 GB hole.

That is EXACTLY how I read the question myself Ralph. It sure makes sense to me. The OP provided so many details and it was so clear to us. How could we have not read his mind???

And I see that the OP never came back to chastise us for our stupid answers! Oh wait - he never responded at all!!! Imagine that. Never seen that happen before .....

Jan 21, 2012 1:17 PM in response to peterfromloudonville

I had the same problem. I did what Demo wrote. But it didn't was effective.

I assume that the many podcasts I have in iPad it was the cause of this trouble. I had (have, actually) almost 15GB of it.

So, what I've done: deselected them and after I started the sync. After that, then, I put back the files that I wanted. And... done.

It worked for me. I suggested the same to them that experiencing this problem.

*Sorry about my english, if there is any grammar or semantical error. I think I did my best and think that the text is "understandable"

Jan 31, 2012 7:03 AM in response to rafaelalvesgb

Hi Guys,

I have this issue, my error message says it cannot sync because it require 4.03GB, I have 5.6GB free. I deselected my photos from the sync which then gave me 12.7GB free. When I then tried to sync I got precisely the same message, it was still saying it required 4.03GB?

I have tried restarting the iPhone (32GB iPhone4 ) and also rebooting and restarting iTunes (v. 10.5.3.3) but neither of these excercises corrected the problem?

I do not really want to do a full restore, anyone have any useful ideas?

Thanks.

Edit to add: I am backing up to my pc not iCloud and I have 77GB free on the HDD. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2012 6:47 AM in response to WyndhamClampett

Probably because the system wants to sync 9gb and sees only 8gb available. OP, please let us know if that is the case.

WyndhamClampett wrote:

I am so sorry you got these incredibly stupid replies as I have a similar problem and was hoping for assistance.

The original poster said he had over 8Gb free which is more than enough to copy 1.02Gb. Why do people reply without bothering to proerly read the query?

Personally I want to un-sync my music. My iPad 2 only has 16gb. I have an Android that has 32gb available and fits in my pocket and costs $240. I'll keep my 'portable' music there. So I have to delve into iTunes, and figure out how to sync only the programs without syncing the tunes.

Feb 6, 2012 7:02 AM in response to glenfromnyc

I freed up 7.1GB of extra space over and above the 5.6GB free space I algready had available and was still getting the error that it required 4.03GB so it would appear that one has no relation to the other. It seems as though the fault is something other than a space issue even though that is how it is being reported by iTunes.

Still looking for answers...

Mar 14, 2012 3:17 PM in response to Bazz747

currently getting the same problem with my iPod Touch (3rd Gen).

rebooting the device now, will update post if it helped.

---UPDATE---

okay, so apparently rebooting the device helped, although the sync process did take longer than it usually did.

So if it doesn't work for you, I guess your last option is to restore the device, which will wipe everything from it, and put everything back up.

The iPad can not be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the selected items (additional 1.02 GB required).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.