Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom share names

I originally upgraded my XServe to Lion Server and restored back to SLS when pretty much everything broke. I've been persevering trying to build a working environment in a VM with limited success, but if we are to continue using MacBooks as our default laptop I need to work out how to get LS working to manage them.

One of the things I can't work out is how to give sharepoints custom SMB sharenames.

As we only have about 150 Macs in an Active Directory of well over 1000 Windows PCs, it is necessary when setting user home directories to have sharenames end in a $ to hide from the Windows network to follow the same protocols as we use in AD. For example a user named Joe Smith will have a server account home directory named jsmith, and the home directory will have an SMB sharename of jsmith$.

In 10.6.8 it's really simple - select the share, click "Protocol Options" and set the Custom SMB Name. This option has gone from Lion Server app.

Editing the plist at /private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/sharepoints will give a custom smb_name, but only takes after the Sharing service has been restarted - which kicks off connected users.

Anyone know of a simpler way of setting custom sharepoint names?

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 10:15 PM

1 reply

Custom share names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.