Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4's home button doesn't always work? iOS5 related?

So my iPhone 4 has been pretty well behaved since I got it back in February. It's continued to work wonderfully until about the time iOS5 came out. Basically, the home button stopped responding at random times. Sometimes it was in an app and other times it was while already on the home screen. Double-taps might not register, single taps... The button feels a little soft to the bottom-right now, which has me worried.

What I was hoping was that this might be a side effect of iOS5 that some individuals, such as myself, are having? Or is my iPhone defective?

A followup to those questions would be whether or not this is something covered under Apple's warranty and whether I have to go to the Apple store to get it replaced or if I have to send this in to Verizon? My worry is that if I have to do it through Verizon I'm likely to have to wait a while without a phone at all, seeing as that's how their little world tends to work.

iPhone 4, iOS 5, Verizon

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 12:49 AM

I purchaced my iphone 4 the day it came out in June 2010. I had the same problem with my phone in May of 2011. It started fairly sparatic, but quickly became more regular. I also assumed it was due to an iOS update, but I decided to take it to the Apple store anyway. I was told by the Genius that the button failure wasnt uncommon and that it was a hardware issue. They gave me a new phone for free and so far its had no problems. I just hope this one lasts longer the the last one as i do no plan on buying a new phone until the 5 comes out.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2011 12:49 AM in response to Doug_S

I purchaced my iphone 4 the day it came out in June 2010. I had the same problem with my phone in May of 2011. It started fairly sparatic, but quickly became more regular. I also assumed it was due to an iOS update, but I decided to take it to the Apple store anyway. I was told by the Genius that the button failure wasnt uncommon and that it was a hardware issue. They gave me a new phone for free and so far its had no problems. I just hope this one lasts longer the the last one as i do no plan on buying a new phone until the 5 comes out.

iPhone 4's home button doesn't always work? iOS5 related?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.