Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power mac g5, slow start up continues

My original problem was, No wake up chime when I pushed the power button and of course I'd do a force shutdown and try to re-start which took about 3 or 4 times before it would finally start, so one day when I went to start it, I pushed the power button and "no chime" so I left it sit for a while leading to high speed fans for 5 minutes or so, I then shut it down, pressed the power button and it started on the second time, and since then I've noticed that if I let the fans run for a few minutes letting things heat up, it will always start up the second time... When I posted my issue, a suggestion was made to do the hair dryer trick,,,,Ok, I did the Hair Dryer Trick "twice" once with the memory in and once with the memory out, " However, I noticed that after putting the memory back in, I now have a very slow starting G5,,I thought that maybe something may have happened in the operating system, so, I've gone from Tiger to Leopard and back to tiger again just to find that I have the same problem, keep in mind that, once it dose wake up, all seems to run just fine no matter which OS I run.

Now, as far as the memory, I have 7 gig and they are as follows, 6 at 1 gig each and 2 at 512 = 7 gig. Besides having to install them in pairs, is there a special order that they should go?, cause now that I've thought about it, the slow start up problem seemed to start after I took the memory out and re installed it and I'm sure that I didn't re install them in the same order they were in but I did install them in pairs, maybe this is causing the slow wake up,

Anyway, this is everything that I've done so far. Now, I read another suggestion about removing the logic board and re heating all the solder joints around the memory slots, no problem there, I am a tech for 25 years, but just hate to waste a lot of time if this won't work.

So my question after all this is, dose the logic board need to be replaced? or is the memory mismatch causing a problem?

Thanks

Dennis

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 10:23 AM

Hi Dennis,

Not likely a RAM order problem, but I have read that bigger pairs should be 1st,(inner), is all the RAM reported correctly n System Profiler?

It may help to pull the board & heat, or reflow in an oven if you know how to protect the plastic parts.

2 replies

Power mac g5, slow start up continues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.