Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inserting Special Characters in MacMail

In Snow Leopard and previous systems, all one had to do upon choosing under the EDIT Menu, Special Characters, insert it similar to what one does in MSWord. However, in Lion, there is another procedure that I learned when I called in to Tech Support. Unfortunately, I have forgotten it.

Need help as I use this feature consistently especially for the French accents.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 7:00 AM

User uploaded file

From the Edit Menu of Mail.

4 replies

Nov 3, 2011 8:19 AM in response to kananaskis

In Lion there is a quick way to access special characters - just press and hold down the key for the base character, and in a second or so a popup will appear showing the available special characters based on that letter. Works with Shift, too, for capitals.

For example -

Holding down the e key presents -

User uploaded file

Holding down the c key presents -

User uploaded file

Holding down shift-c presents -

User uploaded file

To enter the desired special character, either -

• click the one you want in the popup

• press the number key shown underneath the character in the popup.

Jul 26, 2012 6:43 AM in response to Vixen82

Hi, there Vixen82.

So glad to hear that my query was also helpful to you. Great way to share the knowledge when one is out there in cyberspace trying to sort out all the technology we have to access every so often. I love how this works. Such a time saver too! No more searching the Special Characters menu to find accents.

Happy typing!😉

Inserting Special Characters in MacMail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.