Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble with certain Safari functions

For some reason, my Safari is behaving oddly. A few examples:

1. I can not utilize the "buttons" in a message board posting. For example, to apply italics hashtags I have to enter them manually.

2. On this site, when I tried to post this question using safari the entire section where I would type and alter text etc....wouldn't load at all. I'm typing this question in Firefox instead.

3. I use a Garmin running watch that downloads to an online Garmin account. Recently, Safari goes "looking" for the device but gets stuck and never finds it, even though Garmin's site confirms it is recognized. Again, if I do this in Firefox it works fine.

4. There are other small things such as this....

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? It's getting to the point where I just use Firefox all the time but I much prefer Safari.

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 11:03 AM

Are Javascript and Java turned on?

For further assistance please tell us what Mac, what operating system you have, and which version of Safari.

15 replies

Nov 3, 2011 11:15 AM in response to Klaus1

Thanks, Klaus-

Interestingly, I'm able to reply to your post in Safari. The editing window showed up fine.

I have Java and Javascript enabled in the Safari preferences window. Is there more I would need to do?

My computer is a Macbook Pro 2GB edition from late 2009, I believe.

I'm running MAC OSX 10.7.2 and Safari 5.1.1.

I should also add that certain other "buttons" on web pages don't seem to work. I wish I could be more helpful explaining it.

I appreciate your help. I'm a bit of a lost cause on these topics!

Nov 3, 2011 2:05 PM in response to 7426k

Klaus, I wondered that about Garmin but according to their site they are fully updated.

Linc, I logged in as a guest and all of the buttons seemed to work fine - I didn't have an opportunity to try the Garmin but I can check that later tonight as well. Does the fact that things work in the guest account narrow down the potential problems?

Thanks again, both.

Nov 3, 2011 2:27 PM in response to 7426k

Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software -- potentially for the worse. The following procedure will help identify which such modifications you've installed. Don’t be alarmed by the complexity of these instructions -- they’re easy to carry out and won’t change anything on your Mac.

These steps are to be taken while booted in “normal” mode, not in safe mode. If you’re now running in safe mode, reboot as usual before continuing.

Below are four lines of text in monospaced type, which are actually shell commands -- little programs. They’re harmless, but they must be used exactly as given in order to work. Some of the lines will probably wrap in your browser, but each one is really just a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then either copy or drag it. The headings “Step 1” and so on are not part of the commands.

Step 1

Launch the Terminal application, copy or drag -- do not type -- the line below into the window, and press return:

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 $7 } '

Post the lines of output (if any) that appear below what you just entered (the text, please, not a screenshot.)

Step 2

Repeat with this line:

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|com\.vix|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

This time, you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning.

Step 3

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

Step 4

ls -1A {,/}Library/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Sta}* 2> /dev/null

Important: If you synchronize with a MobileMe account, your me.com email address will appear in the output of the above command. Change it to something like “user@me.com” before posting.

Remember, this is all drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste, whichever you prefer -- no typing, except your password.

You can then quit Terminal.

Nov 3, 2011 5:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you, Linc Davis. And thanks for such concise directions. Following your instructions produced the following. I replaced some identifying information with ***. I hope that doesn't mess you up. I'm not sure if you expected these steps to fix the problem or if you were hoping to see the output. For what it's worth, the problem seems to persist:

Last login: Thu Nov 3 17:02:22 on console

*****-**********-MacBook-Pro:~ Kevin$

*****-**********-MacBook-Pro:~ Kevin$ kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 $7 } '

*****-**********-MacBook-Pro:~ Kevin$ sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|com\.vix|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

*****-**********-MacBook-Pro:~ Kevin$ launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool

com.google.keystone.user.agent

*****-**********-MacBook-Pro:~ Kevin$ ls -1A {,/}Library/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Sta}* 2> /dev/null

/Library/Components:

/Library/Extensions:

/Library/Frameworks:

AEProfiling.framework

AERegistration.framework

Adobe AIR.framework

AudioMixEngine.framework

NyxAudioAnalysis.framework

PluginManager.framework

TSLicense.framework

cisco-vpnclient.framework

/Library/Input Methods:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

Flash Player.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

GarminGpsControl.plugin

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

Mathematica.plugin

Quartz Composer.webplugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

Silverlight.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

/Library/LaunchAgents:

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

com.apple.remotepairtool.plist

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes:

Flash Player.prefPane

Flip4Mac WMV.prefPane

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

/Library/QuickLook:

GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator

iWork.qlgenerator

/Library/QuickTime:

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

/Library/ScriptingAdditions:

/Library/StartupItems:

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins:

SkypeABDialer.bundle

SkypeABSMS.bundle

Library/Input Methods:

.localized

Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

Move-Media-Player.plugin

Library/LaunchAgents:

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

Library/PreferencePanes:

Nov 3, 2011 5:53 PM in response to 7426k

Please boot in safe mode, log in as yourself, launch Safari, and test again. Same problem now?

Safe mode is slower than normal, and some things won’t work at all, possibly including wireless networking. If possible, connect to the Internet using an Ethernet cable. If you can’t test in safe mode, then perform a safe login: log out of your account without rebooting, enter your credentials at the login screen, then hold down the shift key and click the “Log in” button. Keep holding the key until the menu bar appears.

After testing, reboot or log out/log in as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.)

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Nov 3, 2011 6:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks again, Lincdavis. I appreciate your time. Unfortunately the problems persists in safe mode as well.

I don't know if this means anything to you, but as it turns out: The "tags" in this forum work fine - for example, I can click on B above and get bold font. Or I can add a 😁

But in other places those buttons don't work and the other minor problems persist.

Linc Davis wrote:

Please boot in safe mode, log in as yourself, launch Safari, and test again. Same problem now?

Safe mode is slower than normal, and some things won’t work at all, possibly including wireless networking. If possible, connect to the Internet using an Ethernet cable. If you can’t test in safe mode, then perform a safe login: log out of your account without rebooting, enter your credentials at the login screen, then hold down the shift key and click the “Log in” button. Keep holding the key until the menu bar appears.

After testing, reboot or log out/log in as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.)

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Nov 3, 2011 6:45 PM in response to 7426k

Quit Safari if it’s running.

Select /Applications/Safari in the Finder and open the Info window. There’s a checkbox in that window labeled “Open in 32-bit mode.” If that box is checked, uncheck it. Close the window.

Hold down the option key and select Go > Library from the Finder menu bar. Delete the following items from the folder that opens:

Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari

Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari

Try Safari again. If it still doesn’t work right, quit again and move the following file to the Desktop:

Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Then move the following items to the Trash (some may not exist):

Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Library/Safari

Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

Try again. This time Safari should perform normally, but your settings will be lost. Select File > Import Bookmarks from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Recreate the rest of your Safari settings. You can then delete the old bookmarks file.

Nov 3, 2011 8:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks again for your patience helping me solve this, Linc. A weird outcome this time: I did the first steps - Removing the com.apple.safari and metadata/safari items. No luck...

Then I went to locat safari/bookmarks.plist and found it doesn't exist in libraries. Searching with spotlight, it doesn't seem to exist at all.

So I tried to find the next three and none of them (including Library/Safari) seem to exist either?!

No idea how that happened. If it means anything, I transferred all of these settings from an old IBook G4 - but that was 1.5 years ago.

Having trouble with certain Safari functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.