You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D90 wont mount to desktop

Hi

I am trying to accesses my Nikon D90 but everytime I connect it iPhoto launches but the disk image never appears on the desktop. My card reader is broken and I can't get into town for a few weeks to replace it so the only way I have to download things from a memory card is from my camera. This is something that has been irritating me for a while be has become an issue now becasue of my broken card reader.

I need to be able to see my camera as a HD on my desktop but it just doesn't appear. The computer can obviously read from the camera as iPhoto imediately launches but it doesn't show the Disk Image. Can someone help me to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro, Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 4:37 PM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2011 8:24 AM in response to Kimberlee Newman

Your camera is not a hard drive and it will not appear in the Finder. Use Image Capture. In Image Capture, you can access the images and you can set preferences for what software will open when you attach the camera, if you would rather not use iPhoto.

Some older Nikons have an option (in the camera's menus) to treat the camera as a "Mass Store" device or use "PTP" (Picture Transfer Protocol). Check your camera manual. Newer Nikons no longer have this option, and I am pretty sure the N90 uses only PTP. The Mass Store option would mount in the Finder, but PTP gives more control over the camera. You can do things like synchronize the camera's clock with the computer's clock and do tethered shooting, where you control the camera from the computer. PTP requires software such as Image Capture, View NX, iPhoto, Aperture, etc.

Nov 4, 2011 4:32 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

So does this mean I will nolonger be able to see my camera on the desktop as I have with previous models and brands?

It seems silly that you have to go through an image capture software or the like without the option to access the files manually. How are you to do firmware updates if you can not accesses this in a file form? I have checked on the Nikon website and to do a firmware update for this camera (which it's due for and I may as well do it) I need to Drag a file to the disk image to install the update.

This is a screen capture from the Nikon instructions.

User uploaded file

So it should be possible. I remember that I used to be able to see the disk image when I first got the camera and would connect it to the computer, I'm pretty sure that this is a subsequent development.

Nov 4, 2011 4:53 PM in response to Kimberlee Newman

You can access the files using Image Capture. It's not that different from using the Finder.

For the firmware update, you are supposed to use a card reader. Step 1 in the firmware instructions says:

The data can be copied to the camera memory card using a computer equipped with a card reader or card slot.
1Insert a formatted memory card in the card reader or card slot. ...

Nikon D90 wont mount to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.