Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after ios5 update My Ipod keeps crashing, and the internet stops but shows wifi sign

Well, this all happened after the Ios5 update to my ipod touch 4th gen. The problems are that when im using my wifi, it just stops as if im not getting any reception, but it still shows the wifi sign on the top left corner. A temporary fix for this is to go to settings and put my ipod on airplane mode off and on to get it to work for like 5 minutes. Its really annoying when watching videos or on facebook, etc. The second problem that I've been having is that certain apps keep crashing on me, one that does it the most is safari, it seems to crash all the time for me and now my facebook, news apps, among others all seem to crash. I dont know if this is a problem with the update, but it sure seems like it. Is there any way to fix this?

iPod touch, iOS 5, 4th Gen Ipod touch 32gb

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 5:44 PM

14 replies

Nov 4, 2011 10:05 AM in response to Mrnegative

Same problem...iOS5 on my iPod Touch 4 causes Facebook to crash constantly. In addition, iOS5 has slowed down my iPod Touch 4's reaction speed. When I change a song, it takes longer than before to respond.

Also, on my iPhone 4s iOS5 is causing it to say it's connected to the internet, but it just won't load when I open Safari.

#iPhone4s #iPodTouch4

Nov 21, 2011 12:46 PM in response to Mrnegative

Something like all of this happened to me too. If I turn my ipod on and unlock it, if I try to use safari, music, videos, or any other app, it stops, freezes, won't let me do anything or click any buttons. Once it is done freezing, it will go black with red fuzz all over the screen. It will then restart itself and when I unlock it the apps and homescreen image do not arrive for about 5 seconds. This is very confusing considering I have never had an accident with it or dropped it. In fact I just got it in July. Some of these problems have occured previously but they proceeded to get worse when I upgraded to iOS5.

Nov 21, 2011 1:09 PM in response to Mrnegative

What is your remaining memery availible Settings>General>About. Clean safari cookies and history under Settings>scroll down safari.. Double tap the home button hold down a app click the minus sign. Glad To help

Jan 1, 2012 9:29 AM in response to RicardoCC

Maybe "wiping the device" wasn't clear but dfu is what I did. Wiped the device completely, didn't do a restore just re built from scratch. Still crashes on ios5.01. Doesn't happen all the time but many apps crash if you use for 15 min or more. Same apps never did this before iOS 5. List is too long to name.

Jan 1, 2012 1:22 PM in response to RicardoCC

Obviously if no one has found a solution then bringing it in for repair is possible but it's over a year old and out of warranty so that's $$$. I was hoping someone figured thsi out. Downgrading the OS is an awful solution - that just means Apple put out a defective product with iOS5. I'm hoping there is some setting or set of settings that I should check after I reinstalled and still see the problem. I'm ok with "wait for next iOS update" if that is truly a solution to a known issue.

Jan 23, 2012 7:18 PM in response to st108

I had the same problems with my iPod crashing and taking about a minute to respond when I pushed pause/play. I brought it to an Apple store and they restored it, told me to take it home to sync. Same problems. I brought it back, they said it was hardware. So I bought a new ipod. Brought it home to sync. SAME PROBLEMS. I wasted my money buying a new ipod, and I still can't listen to my music.

Jan 23, 2012 8:33 PM in response to Mrnegative

OKAY PEOPLE! LISTEN UP! DO NOT, i am telling you DO NOT download the latest update (ios 5) for your ipods, it has a bug or virus, you can try restoring it but that is it, you will have to WAIT until apple gets the lazy butts up of the ground and working again, or until they release a new update. TRY not to update to the newest update for your ipods unless you ABSOULUTLY HAVE TO or you know how to fix it, if it does crash.

Jan 24, 2012 8:14 PM in response to Mrnegative

Hey guys, I don't know if this will work for you, but when i turned off icloud, it seemed to work better for me. I dont know if this will work for you guys but its worth a try, honestly, I havent turned it on since, and sorry but this wont stop performance issues just the internet problem, I'll have to go and check up with them again to see if they can do anything about the slow working of my ipod. Goodluck everyone

after ios5 update My Ipod keeps crashing, and the internet stops but shows wifi sign

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.