Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do Archived mails in Mac Mail go before I set up a folder?

Recently my Mac Mail asked if I wanted to archive old mail items for the first time (it's a fairly new Mac). I clicked yes before realising I didn't know where to retrieve them. I hadn't set up a folder anywhere - I have now but of course it's empty. Any idea where my old mail has been sent?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 4:21 AM

14 replies

Nov 4, 2011 10:45 AM in response to helenfromnorwich

When I Archived mine manually, I just had the inbox for one account highlighted & it put an INBOX.mbox folder in Documents, with these 2 files in it...

table_of_contents

mbox

So maybe search for table_of_contents, or .mbox

I won't be on 10.6.8 for about 12 hours, so hopefully we get more help in here.

Or maybe choose Import in Mail & see if it gives clues as to parh or what it's called

Nov 7, 2011 9:42 AM in response to helenfromnorwich

OK Helen, they aren't really readable/usable outside of the Mail App, they are meant as a backup, or way to transfer that particular Mailbox to another Mac.

To use them in Mail's menu>File>Import Mailboxes>Mail for OSX>Continue, it'll open a file dialog to choose that Inbox.mbox or whatever you've archived like Sent Messages.mbox, it imports them to new folders.

Jun 12, 2014 7:28 AM in response to helenfromnorwich

The Archive feature seems useless to me if you want to safely back up, archive, messages or mailboxes.

With Mavericks when I Archive a mailbox edits to either the source mailbox or to the Archive versions result in changes to the other.

It behaves as an alias of a folder or directory in the finder would, if you were editing the folder's contents.

So, I am doing this now and this might change, what I am doing is creating a workflow in automator to Export a mailbox, am giong to try a smart mailbox first, to a directory in Dropbox to be triggered when I receive an email from the snake whose emails I want a record of.

That way although they will over write, I think unless I can get them sequentially named, Dropbox will keep a copy of each through time.

So the Archive feature in Mail is not implemented properly or shoud be renamed to be Useless Alias of Mailbox

Where do Archived mails in Mac Mail go before I set up a folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.