Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Stopped Talking

Hi all,

I was going to post this as a question, but got the answer from Apple. I just thought I'd share here in case anyone has such a puzzling problem.

Symptoms: Siri does not speak out loud through iPhone speakers, only through ear buds or small ear speaker in the phone. No "Ding" sound to indicate Siri is recording or has finished recording.

Problem: It turns out, Siri only uses one speaker, and one of my speakers is bad. The Apple Support tech mentioned in passing that I could have a speaker problem, but I was thinking my speakers worked fine (I could hear my ringer, iPod music, speakerphone etc. through the speakers). I decided to listen to each speaker and discovered that one speaker had indeed stopped working. . . and apparently, it's the one Siri uses!

Very odd problem. I don't guess anyone else will encounter it, but I just wanted to share.

Hope this helps someone!

Lawrence

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 12-Core 2010, 24GB RAM, ATI R5870

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 7:47 AM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2011 10:07 AM in response to Lawrence Ingram_Ii

UPDATE!!!

Apparently, the iPhone only has one speaker for sound, and the other is a mic! The new iPhone arrived today, and the symptoms are all still the same! I've scoured the internet to see if anyone else is having the same problem, and I can't find it anywhere. It's obviously in one of my settings or installed apps. Can't think what.

Will report back. In the mean time, if anyone has any thoughts, please comment!

Lawrence

Siri Stopped Talking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.