Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight "disobeying" it's instructions/preferences!

Despite my selecting what files I want to see in the results, and deselecting those I don't (like email messages), they always show up anyway! No big deal IF there weren't always so many more of them, than anything else. Anyone have an idea to get it to work correctly? Calling Apple was useless, the woman answered all my issues with "well, you can try upgrading to Lion"! Big help.....

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 21.5" ,3.2 GHz i3, 8GB Ram,

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 12:34 PM

When I filed a bug report for this:

I've set Spotlight's Search Results to not show webpages. However, webpages are depicted in Spotlight search windows in the Finder.

I got this back:

…the behavior you reported is as expected/designed.The spotlight preferences set in the prefpane only apply to the spotlight menu in the menubar, not in the finder.

When I responded:

Makes no sense whatsoever. How can selecting not to see webpage results, but seeing them be expected/designed? If the former, it's a bold face lie; if the latter, then the selection needs removing from the show results panel.

I got this back:

I understand your frustration and can definitely see where you're coming from, but the fact of the matter is that Spotlight preferences no longer apply to the Finder search. They do, however, still apply to the Spotlight menu.

Bottom line, then, is LIVE WITH IT.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2011 12:34 PM in response to Saxman

When I filed a bug report for this:

I've set Spotlight's Search Results to not show webpages. However, webpages are depicted in Spotlight search windows in the Finder.

I got this back:

…the behavior you reported is as expected/designed.The spotlight preferences set in the prefpane only apply to the spotlight menu in the menubar, not in the finder.

When I responded:

Makes no sense whatsoever. How can selecting not to see webpage results, but seeing them be expected/designed? If the former, it's a bold face lie; if the latter, then the selection needs removing from the show results panel.

I got this back:

I understand your frustration and can definitely see where you're coming from, but the fact of the matter is that Spotlight preferences no longer apply to the Finder search. They do, however, still apply to the Spotlight menu.

Bottom line, then, is LIVE WITH IT.

Spotlight "disobeying" it's instructions/preferences!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.