Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone sorting by album artist, not artist

I have an iphone 4, running ios5.

Some of my songs are not showing up when I search for them by their artist. They are there under the "album artist" listed. (For reasons I don't quite understand my husband has some songs with different "artist" and "album artist" listings under "get info".)

Basically, why is my phone reading the "album artist" info and not the "artist" info?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 1:55 PM

5 replies

Nov 6, 2011 8:07 AM in response to robyn1970

I'm having the same problem Robyn. It's very frustrating--esp. after so many years of all my music sorting by Artist (which is what makes perfect sense to me). It took 3 techs at my Apple Store to even figure out that, even though it said it was sorting by Artist, in fact it was sorting by Album Artist.

Let's hope they change it back--or at least give us the option to chose for ourselves which we prefer!

Nov 6, 2011 8:45 AM in response to robyn1970

iOS 5 has introduced a new setting, turned on by default, under Settings > Music > Group By Album Artist. Turning this off will return the old view that you are used to where all individual values of Artist are listed instead of just the Album Artists. Personally I've been wanting the new layout since I bought an iPod Classic four years ago and was frustrated by the way it split up albums with guest artists and handled compilations. It's been a long wait!

For tips on organising your media see http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp

tt2

Nov 6, 2011 12:13 PM in response to robyn1970

I saw that setting earlier. My phone setting does have "group by album artist" turned off. One of the albums was marked as a "compilation" (on the Get Info tab). I had read that if that box is checked it will mess up the artist listing. That worked for one of the albums (which never was a compilation, but whatever). The other particular artist that wasn't showing up I fixed manually by fixing the album artist that was listed to match the artist. So, I have sort of fixed things, but I bet my phone is still reading "album artist". I'll do a test.

iphone sorting by album artist, not artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.