Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library changes

I am currently re-working my thinking of Aperture libraries and want to know if my previous imported Aperture libraries can be converted or exported to basic folders without losing all my my editing.

Imac 27", Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 6:18 PM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2011 6:49 PM in response to Motib

It's a little hard to answer -- can you expand a little on what you are trying to do?

The Library is a relational database that contains thousands (if not millions) of files. At any time from within Aperture you can export any or all of your Masters (the files you originally imported) and any and all of your Versions (the Images you've created making adjustments and/or adding metadata). Some of Aperture's metadata is not transferable to other programs (primarily Faces and Places, but there are work-arounds).

Nov 4, 2011 7:10 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

What I want to do (in laymans language) is to convert my Aperture Libraries to conventional folders/files that can be accessed by any program. I hope that explains what I want. In future when I import images, I will import them into a folder on my hard drive as opposed to in an Aperture library. So the question is, do I just start fresh, or can I go backwards with my previous Aperture Libraries, or will I lose the versions with my adjustments. Does that give you enough information?

Nov 4, 2011 7:26 PM in response to Motib

Are you giving up Aperture?

If not, what role will Aperture play in your workflow?

This statement in particular confuses me:

In future when I import images, I will import them into a folder on my hard drive as opposed to in an Aperture library.

Your Versions (which hold your Adjustments) are not shareable with other programs. You create shareable, image-format files by Exporting your Versions ("Export" means "Make me shareable image-format files from these Versions"). There is no other way to share your Versions with other programs.

Aperture library changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.