Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I do when I get this message?

I can no longer import pictures in any of my Aperture libraries even though I have deleted a lot of raw and jpeg files. I get this message, "Insufficient Disk Space - There is not enough free space on your Aperture library volume to import the selected items. It is estimated that you need 328MB of additional free space." What can I do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aperture 3.2.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 6:44 PM

8 replies

Nov 5, 2011 8:17 AM in response to jennyfromlexington

Yes, I moved the rejected pictures into the trash and then emptied the aperture trash. Since then, I have emptied the iMac desktop trash, shut down the machine for the night and restarted it this morning. I think the problem is that my external hard drive, where I have my libraries stored is almost full, although deleting all those pictures should have freed up enough space for me to import a small set of pictures.

I am surprised that the hard drive is full because it is 1TB and I don't understand how it could fill up so quickly. I was reading some of the other responses and they were talking about ways to have the masters filed stored more efficiently but I got lost with some of the terms and suggestions.

Do you have any storage/set-up suggestions for when I get a new external hard drive? Or do you think somthing else is going on with Aperture?

Nov 5, 2011 9:03 AM in response to jennyfromlexington

HAve you checked the drive to see hw much space it is saying it has? Is your library on your internal drive or on the external drive?

In either case with the finder select each drive in turn and then click File->Get Info.

So for example on this system I get:

User uploaded file

Do this on both your internal and external drives and post the screen shots.

Nov 5, 2011 10:01 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

I don't know how to capture my screen and/or post it online.

On my iMac hard drive I have a capacity of 999.86GB, Avaiable 666.04GB, and Used 333.82GB.

On my external G-drive I have a capacity of 999.86GB, Available 945.8MB, and Used 998.92GB so this external hard drive is totally full. But the files I've deleted from the Aperture system must not have deleted anything from the external hard drive or else I'd have created more available space. What do you think?

Nov 5, 2011 10:26 AM in response to jennyfromlexington

Jenny,

How should I be deleting the pictures?

if your Library is a managed one, then your delete-workflow is perfect. If it is not managed, then the procedure is a little more complicated.

Managed means, all master files of your images are stored inside your Aperture Library, referenced means they are stored somewhere outside the library. To create a referenced library you either decide at the time of the import to keep your master image files in their current location or to copy/move them into to library. Or you relocate managed master files to a new place outside Aperture.

Since do not know if your masters are referenced or managed, they are probably managed, but you can check that with the badge-overlay:

Referenced images should be displayed in the Browser with a curved arrow in the lower right corner, as described in this article: Understanding Badge Overlays:

We need to know if there are referenced images, because when you delete the images it could be done in a way that the masters will not be deleted along with your version, also you will need storage outside your library.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 5, 2011 11:04 AM in response to jennyfromlexington

How to capture a screen:

Start the Preview.app.

In the File menu there is an entry "Capture Screen", with three options to take a picture of the entire screen, a selected region of the screen, or a window.

Shoot a picture and save it.

When you are posting your message, there is a camera at the top of the message window.

Click the camera, press the "choose file" button, upload your picture, and press the button "insert image" (or similar) in the lower right corner.

Then wait ....

and post your message.

What can I do when I get this message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.