Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV/Home sharing ...... Why does it need an active Internet connection?

Does Apple TV require an active Internet connection at all times? If yes why?

I just want to share media from my iMac to my TV but my intent is down more than it's up!!!! Is there any way I can do this without spending any money?

Thanks all.

AppleTV 2, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 7:23 PM

39 replies

Nov 28, 2011 7:21 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks vazandrew.

Unfortunately the question remains... Why does it need an active internet connection?

It's my stuff (my music off my CD's imported to iTunes) it lives in my computer and I want to share it with my stereo.

Why does iTunes/homesharing need a permanent internet connection to stream locally stored data within my home on my wifi network? It's called Home sharing ie in my home!

My internet is rubbish now I have difficulty playing my, locally stored, media in my own home. This scenario is baffling why did Apple do this?

Nov 28, 2011 8:29 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks guys, if what u say is true I must be doing something wrong...

I share my content via iMac wifi. Below is what happens:

1. Internet is down i try to turn on Home Sharing, it does not work can not access my media.

2. Internet is up I turn on home sharing and start sharing my content.

3. Internet goes down Home Sharing drops out!

4. After drop out i set up a comp to comp network and Home Sharing does not work.

No matter what I do I can not get Home SHaring to work without a permanent internet connection... Any ideas?

Nov 28, 2011 9:27 PM in response to Placid-oh-flamingo

Ok let me ask it another way...

Who is currently sharing own content from itunes to an Apple TV but does not currently have an active internet connection? How did you do it?

(assumption is that you had internet connection to initiate Home sharing and was successfully able to turn off internet connection and maintain the home sharing network).

Dec 3, 2011 8:05 PM in response to vazandrew

Please see my post above.

As far as I can fathom...Apple TV needs permanent Internet connection else it stops. Whilst it may not actively use the connection 100% of time whilst playing (although I do not know this for sure) as soon az the internet goes down so does the Home Sharing and as Apple TV is reliant on Home Sharing and willonly share content via Home Sharing then Apple TV needs permanent Internet.

Also cannot even turn on Apple TV unless it is connected to the network and this does not mean Wifi only it means Wifi with internet sharing turned on.

No one has been able to tell me how they run Apple TV without permanent internet connection.

No one has been able to tell me how they start Apple TV without internet connection.

No one has been able to tell me how, once Apple TV up and running and internet drops out, how they maintain the Apple TV connection.

Again I ask why does Apple TV need a Permanent Internet Connection?

Apr 7, 2013 12:25 PM in response to Placid-oh-flamingo

Placid,

I can confirm that you can stream content from a Mac to Apple TV if the internet is down. I have a very reliable internet service and have never had the issue you descibred. After reading your post I was curious so, I unpluged my ethernet cable from my cable modem and I was still able to stream music and movies to Apple TV even though my internet was down.

This may not be the case with all wireless routers, I have an Apple Express router. I switched to an Apple router because it works well with other Apple products, like the Wake on Demand feature.

I have read about a rumor that Apple may release AirPlay Direct. Which would eliminate the need for wifi altogether to stream to Apple TV, but who knows if it will happen.

Feb 14, 2016 4:58 AM in response to iostv

I'm also seeing this issue.

As I don't have a reliable internet connection I take my laptop to a good wifi network, download the films i buy off iTunes to my Macbook Pro then go back home, connect everything to a wifi network (with no internet) and my AppleTV won't play the films.

This is a joke. Apple knows that I've downloaded a movie I have paid for. Why can't I stream it to my AppleTV without an internet connection?

Apple TV/Home sharing ...... Why does it need an active Internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.