Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts in PDF created from Pages doesn't present correctly on Windows PCs

The fonts documents that I'm creating in Pages and then converting to PDF, aren't presenting properly to people using Windows PC's. Some of the fonts are "wonky".

What I'm doing is creating documents in Pages and then creating PDF's either by Print, save as PDF or Share, Export, PDF.

On my MacBook and iPad the PDFs are perfect. However when viewed on Windows, they are wonky. Not all of the document/fonts are messed up. An example of a font that appears wonky, is Baskerville.

I've used Adobe Reader to check whether the fonts appear embedded, and they seem to be there.

This is a huge problem for me because, at the moment, all documents I'm sending to clients who use Windows, are looking really unprofessional.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Anyone else seen this?

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 9:25 PM

18 replies

Nov 5, 2011 2:50 AM in response to William@NewLightStrategies

Since the problem is to be seen in Adobe Reader for Microsoft Windows, you might want to ask a forum at Adobe.com. There is no way of knowing what you mean by 'wonky.'

The principle is that the scalable glyph shapes in the font program are subset and the subset of glyph shapes is inserted with the start point and the set widths that are used for drawing ('showing') the glyphs in the graphic co-ordinate geometry that you have defined in the document setup dialogue. There are two basic ways to embed Apple SFNT-housed TrueType (which is what your Baskerville is, if it is the one that installs with the system software) in Adobe PDF, either as several font programs each with a max of 256 glyphs or as a single font program within which there are several tiled font programs. Both are basically hacks, because Adobe PDF cannot contain the Unicode and TrueType glyph run complete, the way Adobe PDF 1.3 and higher can in fact contain the ICC ColorWorld complete. But that is a monster bug matrix that is beyond this discussion - only that you need to understand what you are seeing in the dialogue for embedded fonts shown in Adobe Acrobat products. That is, the fonts are always re-encoded and are never the original, intact fonts.

Best,

Henrik Holmegaard

would-be technical writer

Nov 5, 2011 5:10 AM in response to William@NewLightStrategies

Actually, not only x-height glyphs with bowls on the baseline 'o', 'c', 'e' and 's are drawn ('shown') incorrectly, but ascender glyphs with a bowl on the baseline is shown 'b', 'd' are shown incorrectly, and some descender glyphs with a bowl on the baseline 'p' are, too. The PDF consumer is not interpreting the glyph metrics as intended, but you might want to determine if this is particular to some versions of Acrobat or is found in any versions.

/hh

Nov 5, 2011 3:50 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

The same thing is happening with TextEdit.

When opened in Preview, its drawn perfectly and all is A OK.

But on a Windows PC, the font is not drawn properly.

This is an image of a TextEdit document that was saved as a PDF and then opened in Adobe Reader on a Windows PC.

User uploaded file

To the best of my knowledge I'm using the standard fonts that came with my Mac.

Nov 6, 2011 1:16 AM in response to fruhulda

> Baskerville is a Microsoft font if Apple hasn't added it on Lion. Can someone else who has Lion confirm this?

Baskerville is a Monotype product, based on the metal drawings from the prewar period. It is bundled in Mac OS X with a TrueType font program (the program for the scalable glyph splines) and simple TrueType shaping using the obligatory CMAP Character Map table for character-glyph conversion, no support for glyph substitution.

/hh

Nov 6, 2011 5:13 AM in response to William@NewLightStrategies

William@NewLightStrategies wrote:

Hi Tom, yes you're correct. I've just installed Adobe Reader 10 for Mac and found the same problem.

That makes it an Adobe problem.

I see that Lion has a different version of Baskerville (7.0d4e2) than Snow Leopard (6.1d5e1), and the problem does not seem to exist with Adobe Reader for Mac with the older font. So perhaps a work around is to use that one. If you do not have it I can email you a copy (tom at bluesky dot org).

Nov 6, 2011 2:05 PM in response to William@NewLightStrategies

I want to sincerely thank all of you for your help and the diagnosis of the problem.

Baskerville is the core font used in my brand design and it thereforte caused me real problems when I discovered that it was appearing distorted ("wonky") to Windows PC users. I can't afford to have my proposals and reports look unprofessional. Finding the solution was therefore critically important to me.

One thing that surprises me is that I seem to be the first (or only) person to have found this to be a problem. I can hardly believe that Apple is unaware that their Baskerville font used in Lion doesn't present/draw properly in Adobe Reader !!

Again, thank you for all your help.

Fonts in PDF created from Pages doesn't present correctly on Windows PCs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.