Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT10 Player shows same m4a file at different sizes from different sites

I am trying to move many podcasts from MobileMe to alternative blog/podcast combinations. My podcasts are prepared in GB as m4a files and include 300 x 300 px still images that change from time to time (chapter markers, in 'enhanced' podcast). When hosted by MobileMe, these podcasts play correctly with a 300 x 300 image displayed. When hosted anywhere else, the image is much smaller, about 160px square. I have tried every test combination I can think of:

• At the browser end
    • OS X 10.7.2
    • Windows Vista
    • Safari
    • Firefox
    • MSIE
  • On the server side
    • Two different podcast hosting services
    • Direct upload to a file server I control (no reprocessing)
    • Direct call in Safari to the known URL on my server
    • Hosting through a Squarespace blog.

In every case, I get the same 'wrong' (small image) result, EXCEPT when the file is hosted and served by MobileMe, when it is displayed correctly at 300x300. The upload to MobileMe was through the GB interface Share with iWeb and then Update website in iWeb.

For other hosts, of course, the GB file has been saved as .m4a and then uploaded through the web browser to the hosting service.

The embedding code I use in the Squarespace blog is as recommended:

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" WIDTH="300" HEIGHT="316" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab"> <PARAM name="SRC" VALUE="http://piwiaus.podhoster.com/download/3243/27068/20111030.m4a"> <PARAM name="AUTOPLAY" VALUE="false"> <PARAM name="CONTROLLER" VALUE="true"> <EMBED SRC="http://piwiaus.podhoster.com/download/3243/27068/20111030.m4a" WIDTH="300" HEIGHT="316" AUTOPLAY="false" CONTROLLER="true" TYPE="video/quicktime" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/"> </EMBED> </OBJECT>

The podcasts play normally in iTunes, accessed from the hosting service (that is, the same uploaded file).

If I play the same m4a file (from which I had uploaded) locally on my iMac directly in Quicktime Player, I get an oversized image replayed; but I see elsewhere that there is a common limitation about playing small files, and that the player enlarges them.

If it enlarged my blogs, I wouldn't mind so much, but it rendering these images (some include text) unreadably small.

Can anyone please throw light on the problem, what I may be doing wrong, or any workarounds?

After a week of mucking about, I'll be most grateful for any light shed!

Peter

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 6:17 AM

Not a web programmer so I do not know how or why your web code does not override the default physical settings in your file. However, it appears that GarageBand sets both the "Normal" and "Current Display" settings to 160x160 even when you encode the Photo-JPEG content at 300x300. If you really want the images to display at 300x300, you you will have to manually reset the display values.

I also noted that the sample file you referenced only contained one chapter marker ("Start") and is "Hinted" for RTSP use even though the server you referenced does not apper to be an RTSP server. In any event, here is a copy of the modified file:

20111030.m4a

You can check to see if it plays the way you want.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2011 6:17 AM in response to piwiAus

Not a web programmer so I do not know how or why your web code does not override the default physical settings in your file. However, it appears that GarageBand sets both the "Normal" and "Current Display" settings to 160x160 even when you encode the Photo-JPEG content at 300x300. If you really want the images to display at 300x300, you you will have to manually reset the display values.

I also noted that the sample file you referenced only contained one chapter marker ("Start") and is "Hinted" for RTSP use even though the server you referenced does not apper to be an RTSP server. In any event, here is a copy of the modified file:

20111030.m4a

You can check to see if it plays the way you want.

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2011 11:31 AM in response to Jon Walker

Most helpful, Jon -- sincere thanks. I shall have to investigate fiurther this evening my time. I've taken a quick peek in GB help and online, and so far see nothing about either of those Normal/Current Display settings -- my images have just been pre-sized to 300x300, then dragged into the Podcast Track. When saving the file, I've ensured that the check box is on for limiting image size to the same 300 x 300. Clearly I am missing something about setting the image sizes. May I ask whether you used a different tool to inspect and modify the m4a file? Certainly your outcome is exactly the result I am looking for! If you have a moment to give a little more insight into your method, that would help me along further.

You're quite correct, of course, that my images are checked for "Displays Artwork" and not for "Marks a Chapter". In the context of these continuous addresses, internal chapter markings don't seem very useful. I mispoke in my original post to call them 'chapter markers'.

And you continue to educate me about RTSP server types! 🙂 Outside the MobileMe space, I'm afraid I am a complete newbie. I assumed that all the commercial podcast-hosting sites would be capable of streaming the content. I gahter this is something I should look for in a hosting solution. Any pointers there, by any chance?

I really appreciate your helpful insights. That's a level of understanding I can only aspire to right now. I'll investigate further after my working day.

Peter

Nov 6, 2011 2:57 PM in response to piwiAus

I've taken a quick peek in GB help and online, and so far see nothing about either of those Normal/Current Display settings -- my images have just been pre-sized to 300x300, then dragged into the Podcast Track. When saving the file, I've ensured that the check box is on for limiting image size to the same 300 x 300. Clearly I am missing something about setting the image sizes.

It appears GarageBand employs a more or less fixed output preset for the Podcast "image" track. You do not have to pre-size the images. As long as they are square, GarageBand will re-scale the image and encode it at either 300x300 pixels (with "Set image" switch checked for 300x300) or 160x160 pixels (with "Set image" switch unchecked for 300x300).

User uploaded file

As you can see here, your original file (with the image setting checked for 300x300) is encoded as a Photo-JPEG video track at 300x300 pixels but defaults to 160x160 "Normal" and "Current" display dimentsions. I suspect that your web page code was only used when you published to your MobileMe account. In this case the code overrides the display settings embedded in the file giving you the desired display dimensions. Conversely, when you uploaded the file to other Podcast sites, it appears the HTML code was either not uploaded or, if included, was discarded by the hosting site forcing the files to display at the default display dimensions embedded within the file.

User uploaded file

The image above depicts the statistics for a GarageBand Podcast I created with the the "Set Image" option unchecked for a 400x768 source image. As you can see the image was scaled and cropped to a 160x160 pixel image not only for the "Normal" and "Current" display dimensions, but the image was actually encoded at the lower 160x160 Photo-JPEG rsolution also.

User uploaded file

Lastly, in the case of my modified version of your file, I simply re-set the "Normal"/"Current" display settings to match the encoded 300x300 pixel value. By default, this allows the file to play at the larger resolution in both classic and "new generation" media players since the file is not PAR encoded, as well as, play at the correct size on web pages not coded to override the embedded display dimensions.

I've taken a quick peek in GB help and online, and so far see nothing about either of those Normal/Current Display settings ... May I ask whether you used a different tool to inspect and modify the m4a file? Certainly your outcome is exactly the result I am looking for! If you have a moment to give a little more insight into your method, that would help me along further.

I used the Inspector window in the QT 7.6.6 Player to view the settings in your Podcast file as exported by GarageBand. You could just as easily used the QT X Inspector window but then you would have had to deal with the issue of files not being displayed with a width less than 480 pixels as depicted here:

User uploaded file

(NOTE: Actually, the QT 7 Player has a similar problem in that the controller will not display with a width less than 360 pixels even though a video with a width less than 360 plixels will display correctly pillared on a "black" 360 pixel width background. Of course, in the case of the QT 7 Player, the contorller can be turned off rendering the display at the correct dimensions without pillaring.)

With regard to correcting the display problem, the easiest method is to use QT 7 "Pro" to modify the display setting. Of course, this work flow places the data in a new MOV file container which seems to bother some people but does not normally affect playback (other than changing the default "Open with..." application). To avoid this problem, I used the "Dumpster" utility which allows me to examine/modify the contents of "moov" atoms. Unfortunately, this developer utility is somewhat old and I'm not sure if it is still available for downloaded from the Apple "Developer" area.

I assumed that all the commercial podcast-hosting sites would be capable of streaming the content. I gahter this is something I should look for in a hosting solution.

Not sure what your requirements are. RTSP is not really a requirement for most non-commercial users. The main difference is that in RTSP, the media player only plays a temporary cache of data while regular servers cache the entire file locally for playback. For most, "Fast Start" is enough. In this case, the file begins playback as soon as it has cached enough data for continuous playback. As an added note, if you use the QT 7 Pro "Save As..." option to save your "display fixed" files, then it automatically sets the "Fast Start" switch. I believe an RTSP provider will cost more but I have no real experience here as I have always used "Fast Start" files on standard servers like MacDotCom, MyFamily.Com, or MobileMe and am preparing for the more limited iCloud content use.

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2011 10:13 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon, this is so incredibly helpful. Your are right in everything you say, with (as far as I can tell) this exception:

I suspect that your web page code was only used when you published to your MobileMe account. In this case the code overrides the display settings embedded in the file giving you the desired display dimensions. Conversely, when you uploaded the file to other Podcast sites, it appears the HTML code was either not uploaded or, if included, was discarded by the hosting site forcing the files to display at the default display dimensions embedded within the file.

Because my original uploads were from GB directly into iWeb and thence directly to my MobileMe account, I did not need to supply any HTML code at all. But I'm guessing that this chain must somewhere reset the display dimensions to the expected values.

Conversely, it is only with my new hosting service that I have needed to add any HTML code at all. Despite the fact that I copied that code from "authorities" including Apple's documentation, it does not seem to over-ride the settings that GB has but into the file. You have now enabled me to fix that problem.

On this point:

To avoid this problem, I used the "Dumpster" utility which allows me to examine/modify the contents of "moov" atoms. Unfortunately, this developer utility is somewhat old and I'm not sure if it is still available for downloaded from the Apple "Developer" area.

AFAICS it's no longer available there; but I did a very helpful link in another thread, posted by one Jon Walker, that allowed me to download the dumster.dmg file!! With the bit of guidance provided in that other thread, I was able to poke around and find how to correct the settings. I am rapt!

Finally, "Fast Start" is enough for me.

But then comes your very last comment, which (coming from someone so authoritative) I find very interesting:

...but I have no real experience here as I have always used "Fast Start" files on standard servers like MacDotCom, MyFamily.Com, or MobileMe and am preparing for the more limited iCloud content use.

What the...? I've clearly missed something else. I'm switching to iCloud as well, but I had no idea it could be used to serve content to web pages hosted elsewhere (is that what you mean?). Everything I've [mis?]understood was that iCloud is tightly bound to Apple apps and syncing between devices. I've never seen anything about APIs or links you can set up to collect files in web pages (or any technology outside the supported Apple apps themselves).

If I am not misunderstanding your intent, I wonder if you have a link to some doco where I could read up about iCloud 'serving' content? I could ask no more of you, as you have already been extraordinarily helpful and quickly untangled me from a very nasty spot. For that, my heartfelt thanks. You are a champion!

Cheers

PW

Nov 7, 2011 6:16 AM in response to piwiAus

What the...? I've clearly missed something else. I'm switching to iCloud as well, but I had no idea it could be used to serve content to web pages hosted elsewhere (is that what you mean?). Everything I've [mis?]understood was that iCloud is tightly bound to Apple apps and syncing between devices. I've never seen anything about APIs or links you can set up to collect files in web pages (or any technology outside the supported Apple apps themselves).

If I am not misunderstanding your intent, I wonder if you have a link to some doco where I could read up about iCloud 'serving' content? I could ask no more of you, as you have already been extraordinarily helpful and quickly untangled me from a very nasty spot. For that, my heartfelt thanks. You are a champion!

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Was only referring to the automated sharing of content between my own devices. Tend to spend a lot of time these days in waiting rooms what with ferrying myself, my wife, and my father-in-law to various medical appointments. Luckily, many offices are now equipped with public WIFI hotspots making it easy to work on documents, listen to music, watch movies, and access latest photos. Already have AirVideo internet server, just set up iWork document sharing and Photo Stream, but am still awaiting "iTunes Match" subscription service for music content. Did not mean to imply the iCloud would replace MobileMe's general storage/publishing services. Will still have to move web sites to a new general storage hosting service but have until June 30th of 2012 to set that up. (Believe the savings on the hosting service will more than pay for the iTunes Match subscription.)

User uploaded file

Nov 8, 2011 4:59 AM in response to Jon Walker

Well, Jon, you have been (for me as well as for many others, I see from your profile and personal site) extraordinarily helpful, and I appreciate your technical insight and willingness to reach out. As an aside, I can only hope that the gradual rollout of our National Broadband Network here in Australia will encourage the proliferation of more public Wifi spots here as well.

I wish you and your family all the very best with your medical journeys -- I'm afraid it's a common enough story at this time of life.

Sincere thanks

Peter

QT10 Player shows same m4a file at different sizes from different sites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.