Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a usable workflow for custom templates in Lion?

I have a number of contracts that are saved as custom templates. In the past I could choose one of those and make the changes I need and then save the new document file. Now, Lion automatically saves the template file and backs it up constantly. The number of templates is multiplying and I can't seem to figure out how to save anything new. I'm printing everything as a pdf just so I can get a copy. I love the idea of document versions but there is no reason it should be applied to templates. Does it work that way with the built in templates? I haven't used one since upgrading not wanting to start making permanant changes. I see the work around of using a number of documents and immediatly making a duplicate, but isn't that saying that the custom template feature is useless?

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 7:01 AM

10 replies

Nov 5, 2011 9:27 AM in response to lacadaz

The first thing to do when you want to ask a question is to use the correct wording.

Like fruhulda, I guess that you use the word "template" for what is in fact a standard document.

Check your settings in the Preferences pane.

User uploaded file

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 5 novembre 2011 17:27:29

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Nov 5, 2011 12:37 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

What word should I use for a file designated as a Pages Template, with a .template extension and saved in the templates folder.

I'm not thrilled with the implimention of versions with Lion documents. But that isn't my issue here. My issue is that my "My Templates" area is multiplying with additional .template files being constantly changed and backed-up.

Are either of you using custom saved templates in Lion? If so have you found a way to have them co-exist with the Versions in a productive manner? If so, what is your workflow?

Nov 5, 2011 12:58 PM in response to lacadaz

We are all avoiding Lion so it is difficult to confirm what you are reporting.

If you have done suitable tests, it may be you have discovered a bug and should report that to Apple.

Are you saving the .template to the default templates folder or are you saving it somewhere else, which may be causing OSX to treat it as a normal document to auto-backup and version?

Peter

Nov 5, 2011 1:10 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Save as a template defaults to a My Templates folder which is contained in the Templates folder. That is where I'm saving it.

As far as applying auto-backup to templates, maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a feature. I don't care. I don't want to judge. I was just looking for some practical suggestions from anyone using Pages in this manner in Lion.

Nov 5, 2011 1:19 PM in response to lacadaz

I apologize.

As I use templates every days without the described behavior I assumed that you were getting the replicates created automatically by the feature which I pointed. This feature has nothing in common with Versions.

In fact, on my machines, every document which is supposed to be used to create a slightly different version is saved as a custom template (not necessarily in the "My Templates" folder).

So, when I want to create a new document, I'm sure that I will not save the changes in the original file and I'm never annoyed by what some users are ranting against in several threads.

As most of the time I save my documents with the old package format, I created two flatfile templates for tests but they behave like the packages ones.

When I trigger one of them, I get an untitled document and I am urged to give it a name and a location.

May you try to run Pages from an other user account to see if it behave the same odd way ?

Last not least, I didn't upgraded a 10.6.8 system into a 10.7 one. I blanked my internal HD then I installed Lion on the blank device. After that I updated the system to 10.7.2 and grabbed my apps and datafiles thanks to Migration Assistant which extracted them from a clone of my old system made with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I apologize but I dislike Time Machine.

Check if you have Stuffit Expander installed. I know that if it's set to unpack automatically archive files, it create unwanted items but I never read something about such effect on custom templates. iWork's flatfile docs or templates are archive files.

Due to health problems, I will switch off soon.

Will be back tomorrow.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 5 novembre 2011 21:19:03

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Nov 5, 2011 1:32 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

We are all avoiding Lion so it is difficult to confirm what you are reporting.

You are wrong. The truth is at least (all minus one) because I am using Lion as my main operating system and didn't ran Snow since quite a week.

I got none of the oddities described here and there. This is why I took care to describe exactly the way I installed the system because quite every oddities stroke on system which were upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.

In fact, at this time, my only problem with Lion is the fact that the button which allowed us to switch a Finder window from "with vertical left panel" to "without vertical left panel" (I know that I don't use the official wording but I'm running the system in French) is no longer available.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 5 novembre 2011 21:30:42

Nov 5, 2011 2:32 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

KOENIG Yvan wrote:

...In fact, at this time, my only problem with Lion is the fact that the button which allowed us to switch a Finder window from "with vertical left panel" to "without vertical left panel" (I know that I don't use the official wording but I'm running the system in French) is no longer available.

In the US English language, it's called "Sidebar". Option/Alt - Command - S to toggle on and off.

Jerry

Is there a usable workflow for custom templates in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.