Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos not showing up

I have been upgrading hardware and software and have an odd problem. I moved from an old PPC Mac (10.4.9) to a new iMac (10.7.2). I first moved my iPhoto 6 library (actually 2 libraries) to iPhoto 11, and thought things were fine. I then decided to make the move to Aperature 3. I had a book on iPhoto 6 that I decided to finish off in iPhoto 11 rather than remake in Aperature. Well...the photos weren't in iPhoto (the book was pretty much empty), and I found they were not in Aperature either. I see them in iPhoto 11, but when I click to edit them, for example, they do no appear. I did not have the original iPhoto library in the default location (not a big enough hard drive) and don't have it in the default location now either (put it on the 1TB drive instead of the solid state drive) Wise? Anyway...if I search the photo title in the finder, I find a full resolution version of it in the iPhoto library>Masters (then on down in the folders to my photo.) From there I can open it in Preview, make a copy and save it somewhere else. YET, it is not seen in iPhoto? And when I copied the library into Aperature, those photos did not appear either.

Luckily, I do have the photos on my laptop, so they aren't dead and gone, but...it's curious. And these photos (taken from multiple cameras on a large family vacation) are the ONLY ones that seem to be missing. Another odd thing - when I went to export the files from my laptop to this drive, it said that there was an error writing to the files. I am now writing them to another external hard drive.

I've been able to add new photos from my camera into Aperture, so...?

Any ideas on how to get iPhoto 11 to recognize these photos or pull them out of the iPhoto library without hunting and pecking all of them individually?

Thanks.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 1:26 PM

7 replies

Nov 6, 2011 5:24 AM in response to Yer_Man

I see nothing. The iPhoto editor opens, but there is nothing in the main window of the editor. The photo is there in the browser below, but not in the main window. Also, it will not open in the external editor. When I choose that option, the external editor (Photoshop Elements 10) just doesn't even open. (It will open with other photos.)

Nov 6, 2011 8:26 AM in response to pmstrain

The ! turns up when iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Nov 6, 2011 11:01 AM in response to pmstrain

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Nov 7, 2011 4:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your time,

I may give it a try, but a book is what I'm trying to salvage (so I won't have to remake it.) Since I have copies of the photos, I thought if I imported them into the existing library, and put them in the existing locations, that the book might automatically find them again, but I tested it with one photo, and alas, it didn't show up in the book.

Sigh.

I guess no matter what I'm going to have to remake the book (I had made it in iPhoto 6 before I knew Apple had stopped supporting that version.

photos not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.