5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 3:03 PM by Kirby Krieger
Michel Corbin Level 1 (10 points)

I would like to selectively exclude some Projects from the Faces database. Can this be done? I have shots of the New York City Marathon and therefore I have several hundred faces clogging up Faces.

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • léonie Level 10 (85,225 points)

There are two approaches you might try:

• One strategy would be to disable faces when you import your image files into Aperture, and selectively only scan those projects for (or image s) for faces that you want to use with faces.
    • The second strategy, that's the one I use, is not to browse faces from the "faces" view in the Library Inspector panel, but to browse the faces restricted to a project or an album / folder etc.

To do that you select an album/project ... and display it in the browser. Then click the faces icon in the toolbar, and you will only see the faces relating to your current selection of images.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

Note that this latter approach works with any container or group of containers:  you can "{Command}+click" as many Projects (Folders, Albums) as you want, then enter Faces mode.

I avoid doing this with Smart Albums.  This is one of the surest ways to slow your system down to geological speeds.  However, it works well with Flagged View.  So if I want to "Face" Images in a Smart Album, I simply Flag them all and then work in Flagged View.  (I use Flagged View all the time as my scratch workspace.)

I don't know of any way to remove Images -- individually or batch -- from the Faces database.  And I'm not sure the first method mentioned above will work -- I think once Faces is turned on, it works behind the scenes to process all Images in the Library (not sure about this -- but I think the on/off is global and not per Project).

• léonie Level 10 (85,225 points)
    I think once Faces is turned on, it works behind the scenes to process all Images in the Library (not sure about this -- but I think the on/off is global and not per Project).

Kirby, you certainly have a point there. It depends - you have to make sure that "faces" is never  enabled during you import.

But it is difficult to remember to turn faces off each and every time you want to import something, i.e. when you are eager to browse your most recent new shots.

I tried that first approach for some time, and the one time I forget to turn faces off it took over my machine and started to scan all my library for missing faces, but it does not seem to hurt to pull the plug and turn faces off again while it is still scanning the library.

• marwandese Level 1 (0 points)

Is there maybe a way to to this with applescripts? Maybe now that they've updated the program?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

I don't know.

But I do think the need -- as far as performance -- has diminished.  Faces in particular, and processing in general, are much improved in Aperture 3.3.  (Images are processed faster, and background processes are less hoggy.)  I have simply turned on Faces for all databases -- even very large ones.  The first time this is done it may take a few hours to process all the Images, but after that, even on imports of hundreds of files, I no longer see Faces bog or hobble Aperture.  YMMV of course, but my advice is, for any Library in which you want any Faces functionality, to enable Faces one evening and walk away and let Aperture process overnight.  Check the Activity window in the morning: it should be done.  Then just use Aperture, including the Faces feature when you need it.

Note that enabling/disabling Faces is now a per-Library setting, even though it is set in "Aperture➞Preferences➞General".

If you are trying to enable/disable Faces in order to limit Face suggestions, Léonie's workflow is the best: select the containers that hold Images of people you want to identify, open them in the Browser, and then enter Faces mode  by "View➞Faces" (or by clicking the Faces icon on the Toolbar) and work from there.  Note that the title of the Browser becomes "Faces in selected items".