Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not know the admin password on a used Mac I purchased.

I purchased a used iMac Blueberry with OSX 10.2.8 for my grandkids to use. The previous owner did not tell me the admin password or give me any disks. There are three usernames listed: the previous owner's name. Troubleshooting, and Guest. Both the owner and the Troubleshooting usernames require passwords. The Guest did not, and I got in to look around.

I got this information: It is an OSX 10.2.8. Memory 256m, Processor 233, PowerPC G3.

Is there any way around the password issue?

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 5:33 PM

31 replies

Mar 14, 2017 4:50 PM in response to xxrollerxx

Your problem, hardware or software, is not the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem. This forum is for old versions of OS X (clearly labelled 10.3 or earlier) which you are not running.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Nov 5, 2011 6:44 PM in response to Babcl

Here's one method to reset the password without the install disc:

1. boot computer and hold the "apple" key and the "s" key.

2. wait for terminal show

3. release keys

4. type without the quotes: "/sbin/mount -uaw"

5. press enter

6. type without the quotes: "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type without the quotes: "reboot"

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

Also, without the discs, look at Mac OS X Tip - No Password, No Root, No CD? No Problem.

http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2003/06/16.1.shtml

Here is another way to get around not knowing the admin password on Macs.

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

* mount -uw /

* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

* shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Dec 8, 2011 3:47 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

If you do this will you lose EVERYTHING on your computer, including files and programs?

The person who gave me the computer doesnt remember the password and i dont have startup discs for the programs so if i lose them i am s@!T out of luck 😟

Any advice on how to reset my admin password without losing anything would really be appreciated

Thanx!

- Kelly

Dec 10, 2011 6:18 PM in response to DenvaKelly

Before you try either, take a few guesses at the password. Often the password is blank, and just pressing enter will work, other common passwords are password or the same as the user name. admin is also reasonably common. Sometimes you will get a password hint, and that might give an obvious clue.

If you can't guess it, then either method will work. The prefered method is to use an install CD/DVD (the second method). This will allow you to reset the password.

The first method tricks the mac into thinking it hasn't been set up before, and will take you through the set up procedure again, and allow you to create a new account. You can then use System Preferences -> Accounts to reset the password on the original account.

Neither method will lose files or programs, but both can cause issues with the 'login keychain', which is resolvable also. But best to wait until you encounter that problem, before we overload you with information!

Sep 6, 2014 6:36 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thank you!! This worked perfectly on a late 2008 MacBook I got used recently:

Here's one method to reset the password without the install disc:

1. boot computer and hold the "apple" key and the "s" key.

2. wait for terminal show

3. release keys

4. type without the quotes: "/sbin/mount -uaw"

5. press enter

6. type without the quotes: "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type without the quotes: "reboot"

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

Oct 28, 2014 12:21 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hi

Sorry to jump in here ...

I have a serious problem with my Imac 27 " 2011 24 Ram which worked perfect for 6 months ( Mavericks is installed latest version)

Im pretty used to Mac myself .. but my Imac dropped all by itself out while I was just in the other room doing something else

I heard the chime startup sound ... and ever since I only have 2 options left .

- whether the imac starts up and I get the Question mark screen ( and yess did all the options for working around this which didn't work)

- or option to start up + ALT which gives me sometimes the lock screen ( but I bought the Imac second hand and the original owner forgot his administrator password ... so I cant try to log in on that lock grey screen !!!

I took it to a apple repair center ... they just called me ... sorry we should take the motherboard out and replace something on the motherboard so you can log in again because of that administrators password ??? so the cost would be like almost being a new Imac ... which i don't have the money for ...

so I was surfing the apple discussions and fell here ...

Im pretty sure that I cant get into terminal which is the option what has been forwarded here by Texas Mac Man ...

before I took it to the apple repair center i really tried all option myself ( Target DVD install all the apple + S + Safe mode etc with no results before i took it to the apple store totally out off options ...

but still before giving up totally I would ask to Texas Mac man ... are there any other hard core options for me to try ??

the other option i might take is reinstall a new data cable from disk to motherboard ? the disk still works perfect ...

Thank you for your time

Frank

Apr 30, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Babcl

These suggestions here did not help me. I now have a 2012 Macbook Air bought used. When I boot it up or turn it on, there is a round icon, not sure what it is and below it says New User. A Cursor is blinking in a field for a password. If I just click Enter or click the New User Icon it goes to the Desktop and I can use the PC.

But, I cannot download the GoPro software and probably not any other software, because I am asked for Admin log-in credentials.

When I try these steps here, the same stuff shows up upon booting.

Please help me conquer this!

Jeff

Apr 30, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Elite Expert of all Knowledge

Yes pressing Enter does work, allowing you to use the PC, going to the desktop and having all apps available.

However, if you wish to download something, some software, for instance I wanted the GoPro software, the PC asks for Admin Log-in credentials, which we don't have.

The steps here are not working for me, after rebooting, the same thing shows up and no option for creating New Admin.

Jeff

I do not know the admin password on a used Mac I purchased.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.