Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should be the capacity of a new stock MacBook Pro 13" harddrive partition?

I just bought a new 13" MacBook Pro last week to act as a backup/substitute to my iMac when I travel and while it's in the shop being fixed due to some hardware problems. I haven't checked it out fully until today when I noticed that the capacity of my harddrive on this brand new machine was only 320.07 GB. Apple's site advertizes a 500 GB harddrive as standard for the lowest model. I know full well that after formatting and due to file tables, etc that the actual capacity of the harddrive is actually smaller than advertized, but only 320 GB from 500 GB? That's a sizable jump down. Did I get ripped off here should I be jumpping own their necks about this?

I bought the laptop not from an Apple Store, but instead a small business in town who is an authorized Apple Dealer. The nearest Apple store is a 3 hour drive into the city and they are fixing my iMac so I would like to trust them. If anyone shine some light on this please let me know.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:51 AM

Ok I just found out what was going on by looking up the harddrive mke/model. It seems that what I bought was an earlier model this year as the 500 GB drives were only started with the last updated hardware. It seems that the person I spoke to either didn't know what he was talking about or they are trying to pawn off an older model as a newer one. I don't like the fact that they were either crooked or idiots, but at least I know what was going on.

Hope this serves as a lesson to others when looking to buy from 3rd party stores, check out your hardware before you buy it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2011 1:51 AM in response to Pascal Gamer

Ok I just found out what was going on by looking up the harddrive mke/model. It seems that what I bought was an earlier model this year as the 500 GB drives were only started with the last updated hardware. It seems that the person I spoke to either didn't know what he was talking about or they are trying to pawn off an older model as a newer one. I don't like the fact that they were either crooked or idiots, but at least I know what was going on.

Hope this serves as a lesson to others when looking to buy from 3rd party stores, check out your hardware before you buy it.

What should be the capacity of a new stock MacBook Pro 13" harddrive partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.