Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not-so-instant on

Hi guys,

My Macbook air is taking ages (about 15 - 20 seconds) to "wake up" from it's "deeper" sleep mode. And I am pretty sure it gets longer over time...

If I simply close it, and open it soon after - everything is fine. But if I leave it for I think it's an hour or longer, and open again, it takes about 15 - 17 seconds before mouse cursor shows up, and another 2 or 3 seconds for the rest of the screen to show up.

It's really frustrating, becase my macbook pro is waking up from it's sleep really instantly.

Now i started experiencing that with 2010 MacBook air 2.13 (13") I think somewhere around update 10.6.7 or so. But now I have exactly same issue with 1.7 macbook 2011 and 10.7.2. And yes, all the firmware updates are on

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 4 GB RAM, 256 SSD

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 2:43 AM

6 replies

Nov 6, 2011 5:05 AM in response to DanInDub

For your Macbook Air, resetting the SMC may help, as one of the reasons to reset is when the system doesn't respond appropriately to opening or closing the lid:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Resetting the SMC can be different for other systems. See this Apple note on SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Nov 6, 2011 5:49 AM in response to DanInDub

If doing the SMC reset doesn't work then restart in Safe Mode (click the link!) and if that doesn't work restart the computer, when you hear the startup tone press and hold the Option key and choose the Recovery volume. Then run Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permission, run this 2x and while you are in Disk Utility run Repair Disk. When you are done, exit DU and restart normally and test.

Nov 6, 2011 12:43 PM in response to DanInDub

Hello Dan,

This is an issue that many mid 2011 Macbook Airs are experiencing. It appears to be a software-related problem with specific regards to the Lion OS and how it interacts with SSD drives. The solutions presented above will more than likely not be of any help.

It appears as though nothing can be done about it until Apple fixes it properly.

With kind regards,

Rakael

Nov 6, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Rakael

Hi guys,

First of all - resetting SMC and repairing permissions did not solve the problem. 😟

I found walk around which is basicaly to disable hibarnation alltogether via Terminal with

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

which so far worked the charm. I do realise however that my standby will shorten as a result, but since it has never been problem with my Pro, I don't see the reason why should it be with Air 🙂

In the meantime I suppose there's nothing else but wait for fix from Apple.

ALso wanted to highlight that issue begin with update of Snow Leopard, I believe 10.6.7 or something around that. I have had no such problem earlier, so it's not Lion to blame.

In regards to my SSD - my 2010 Mabook air had Toshiba SSD, but 2011 one has Samsung. So can't put the blame on neither...

Not-so-instant on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.